How do you live without an SUV/truck?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've owned and driven an SUV since 1995 and from that year on it has never failed that someone needed a favor. Sure, hate on them until you need one. Give me a break. :roll:

They are absolutely the most practical vehicles for everyday use. I mean, why own 2 types of vehicles when you can have an all-in-one? What's the negative? Worse gas mileage than an econo-box? BFD. People who complain about spending $0.30 more per gallon and spend a whopping $200/year more on gas drive me fucking insane.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
SUV? No.
But - you can pry the keys to my F150 5.4L XLT Supercab 4x4 7700 out of my cold, dead fingers.

I've hauled so many things in the bed, I can't even remember half. I moved cross-country with 2 cats, a dog, a fish (in a tank) dozens upon dozens of boxes of things the movers couldn't/wouldn't take (probably an extra 1200lb or so) while towing a 2500lb car. I'd like to see you do that with a sedan!

A U-Haul would be prohibitively expensive for a move like that.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Like others have already mentioned, renting an SUV/Truck/Etc to fulfill your needs on a semi-regular basis will probably save you ridiculous amounts of money in the long run after you consider the amount of cash you will save in gas and wear and tear.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I guess it really depens on where you live. I guess if you live in town having a truck is kinda silly. you can rent one for cheap enough. Where i live it would be expensive to rent. here its $20 a half hour + milage over 20. I live at least 20 minutes from town (17 miles). so a trip is at least an hour and 30 miles. as often as i need a truck that would be expensive.

i want a nice used truck around $5k. That will do everything i need and haul trailers.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: rh71
I've owned and driven an SUV since 1995 and from that year on it has never failed that someone needed a favor. Sure, hate on them until you need one. Give me a break. :roll:

They are absolutely the most practical vehicles for everyday use. I mean, why own 2 types of vehicles when you can have an all-in-one? What's the negative? Worse gas mileage than an econo-box? BFD. People who complain about spending $0.30 more per gallon and spend a whopping $200/year more on gas drive me fucking insane.

I dont know about you, but my girlfriend owns an SUV and I own an Econ vehicle. My car gets used about 1/3 more than hers. I spend about $160 per month on gas. She spends about $260 per month on gas. That is an extra $1200 per year difference. Not to mention that nearly everything that is wear and tear on an SUV costs more to replace including the tires. We are getting rid of that SUV of hers ASAP.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
I guess it really depens on where you live. I guess if you live in town having a truck is kinda silly. you can rent one for cheap enough. Where i live it would be expensive to rent. here its $20 a half hour + milage over 20. I live at least 20 minutes from town (17 miles). so a trip is at least an hour and 30 miles. as often as i need a truck that would be expensive.

i want a nice used truck around $5k. That will do everything i need and haul trailers.

That doesn't make sense. I can go out and rent a truck or SUV for about $50 per day. That is a world of a difference compared to $20 a half hour + milage over 20. Are you sure you have explored all of your options?

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: rh71

I dont know about you, but my girlfriend owns an SUV and I own an Econ vehicle. My car gets used about 1/3 more than hers. I spend about $160 per month on gas. She spends about $260 per month on gas. That is an extra $1200 per year difference. Not to mention that nearly everything that is wear and tear on an SUV costs more to replace including the tires. We are getting rid of that SUV of hers ASAP.

when i was married my ex drove a suburban 4X4 and i drove a dodge intrepid. her 42 gal tank took forever to fill and cost a fortune, but it lasted her for about 800 miles. almost three weeks worth of driving for her. my intrepid got great mileage, but i ended up needing a truck. a small car just doesnt work going onto unfinished job site roads, and every time i did i would be bolting stuff back on from all the vibration. im on jobsites at least every other week, and most are not finished roads (some dont even have roads) so a truck makes perfect sense to me.

all that said, id trade in a heart beat in your situation. hell, if needed id trade for the better vehicle and buy a decent used truck for my job site days.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Yeah, if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV.

No you don't. I've owned a home since 2002, every year without a truck. One Honda Civic, one Toyota Corolla.

Trucks are nice on the rare occasion you need it (and I do mean rare), but in no way shape or form are they necessary. The only reason I can see for "having" to own a truck is if it's required by your job. For an SUV, if you have a large family.

That's it.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
I lived for 24 years before I bought a truck... lol..
Coincindentally I bought a truck when I moved into our first house. I bought a $3000 Dodge Dakota, and I've used it to move furniture, haul mulch, tow our Seadoo, tow our boat, pull stumps out of the ground, haul paver stones for our patio, carried our rotting deck to the dump, haul trees to do landscaping, pull a 2WD truck out of a snow drift, pull a van out of the mud, haul dirt, haul stones.... it goes on and on. I actually make a little money every year by pulling bushes and small trees out of the ground for people, and grinding stumps. (Of course the truck hauls the stump grinder around.) My wife and I have taken some wonderful vacations because we were able to pull our boat to some interesting destinations. This truck has been invaluable to me.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Leros

What do you when you need to carry something big? What if you need to tow something? etc

Also, in August I'll be moving into a new place. I'll be buying furniture and appliances left and right. I can't imagine how I would do this with only a car at my disposal.

most big things can be deleivered if not rent a truck its like 30$ a day

You've never had anything delivered or rented a truck, have you.

Home Depot will rent you a truck for $19.95/hour (some places it's 90 minutes). Uhaul starts at $29 for their smallest truck + .99/mile. Not to mention you have to bring it back gassed up and drop it off at the rental place.

Delivery charges on big items are $50 minimum---we're having a table delivered today and it's costing $85.

I'm loading my Envoy up every weekend at Lowes and Home Depot. If I paid rental and delivery fees every time it would equal my car payment!

BTW- The Envoy is not our primary vehicle, we use a Scion xA for driving.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: Cold Steel
CS hugs his supercharged Xterra.

It's been off road numerous times. And I mean off road. I don't mean the dirt road on the way to the town dump, I mean through the middle of the f*ckin' woods off road. Tow the boat all over with it. Go camping all over with it. I can't imagine not having an X.

My next vehicle will probably be an Xterra.

However, I've gotten my Maxima back into some interesting campgrounds.

Heh. I took a Taurus rental into places that no sedan should have ever been when we went hiking in Sedona.

:D

You know that violates most rental agreements if you got into an accident or somebody finds out right?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

What do you when you need to carry something big? What if you need to tow something? etc

Also, in August I'll be moving into a new place. I'll be buying furniture and appliances left and right. I can't imagine how I would do this with only a car at my disposal.

Home Depot will rent you a truck for $19.95/hour (some places it's 90 minutes). Uhaul starts at $29 for their smallest truck + .99/mile. Not to mention you have to bring it back gassed up and drop it off at the rental place.

Delivery charges on big items are $50 minimum---we're having a table delivered today and it's costing $85.

I'm loading my Envoy up every weekend at Lowes and Home Depot. If I paid rental and delivery fees every time it would equal my car payment!

Why not rent a truck, van, or an SUV from a car rental place like the ones they have at almost all major airports? They charge you by the day instead of by the hour making it much cheaper. Also, if you need a big moving truck then look into other competitors besides Uhaul and also look for online coupons. They have them all of the time.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Why not rent a truck, van, or an SUV from a car rental place like the ones they have at almost all major airports? They charge you by the day instead of by the hour making it much cheaper. Also, if you need a big moving truck then look into other competitors besides Uhaul and also look for online coupons. They have them all of the time.

some have rules saying you can't haul stuff And all say NO livestock (wich i do on occasion) heh

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

some have rules saying you can't haul stuff And all say NO livestock (wich i do on occasion) heh

Well, I guess exceptions exist (lol farm animals). Regardless, I know for sure that the amount of those exceptions don't even come remotely close to satisfy the number of people that drive those damn things. I realize it is there freedom to do so and blah blah blah which is fine by me, but what constantly confuses me is their justifications for it. Let's face it, the average SUV owner that uses their SUV in a way which an econ car cannot do happens maybe every few months. Hell, even if you factor in a family which does not fit in one econ car and consider the costs of driving two cars on those occasions where the whole family is going some place still hardly ever comes close to justifying the cost of getting an SUV to replace one of the two econ cars. I just don't get it.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Well, I guess exceptions exist (lol farm animals). Regardless, I know for sure that the amount of those exceptions don't even come remotely close to satisfy the number of people that drive those damn things. I realize it is there freedom to do so and blah blah blah which is fine by me, but what constantly confuses me is their justifications for it. Let's face it, the average SUV owner that uses their SUV in a way which an econ car cannot do happens maybe every few months. Hell, even if you factor in a family which does not fit in one econ car and consider the costs of driving two cars on those occasions where the whole family is going some place still hardly ever comes close to justifying the cost of getting an SUV instead of one of the two econ cars. I just don't get it.

Convenience, versatility and usefulness.

From your statement, everyone should own a econ car. No full-size sedans, minivans, station wagons, luxury vehicles, etc.

For some folks, the couple of hundred dollars in extra fuel costs is offset by the not having to rent a van every time I want to go to Home Depot or haul four people, 3 dogs, bikes, etc.

And today with ten inches of snow falling in Boston, it's a lot easier and safer driving around in my SUV.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Well, I guess exceptions exist (lol farm animals). Regardless, I know for sure that the amount of those exceptions don't even come remotely close to satisfy the number of people that drive those damn things. I realize it is there freedom to do so and blah blah blah which is fine by me, but what constantly confuses me is their justifications for it. Let's face it, the average SUV owner that uses their SUV in a way which an econ car cannot do happens maybe every few months. Hell, even if you factor in a family which does not fit in one econ car and consider the costs of driving two cars on those occasions where the whole family is going some place still hardly ever comes close to justifying the cost of getting an SUV to replace one of the two econ cars. I just don't get it.

you are right. the majority of people do NOT need a truck. BUT like i said a few times where i live (in teh country) you do need it and nearly everyone i know has one.

i drive a mini van. Though i also have a bad hip and leg. i find its far easyer for me to get in the van then any low vehicle.

we also have 2 kids and go to see my parents and hers (both long drives). it would be silly to take 2 cars. Sure we could get a large car but that does not save anything either. my van gets 20MPG wich is pretty good and better then soem cars.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Well, I guess exceptions exist (lol farm animals). Regardless, I know for sure that the amount of those exceptions don't even come remotely close to satisfy the number of people that drive those damn things. I realize it is there freedom to do so and blah blah blah which is fine by me, but what constantly confuses me is their justifications for it. Let's face it, the average SUV owner that uses their SUV in a way which an econ car cannot do happens maybe every few months. Hell, even if you factor in a family which does not fit in one econ car and consider the costs of driving two cars on those occasions where the whole family is going some place still hardly ever comes close to justifying the cost of getting an SUV instead of one of the two econ cars. I just don't get it.

From your statement, everyone should own a econ car. No full-size sedans, minivans, station wagons, luxury vehicles, etc.

For some folks, the couple of hundred dollars in extra fuel costs is offset by the not having to rent a van every time I want to go to Home Depot or haul four people, 3 dogs, bikes, etc.

And today with ten inches of snow falling in Boston, it's a lot easier and safer driving around in my SUV.

I understand that if the occasions where an Econ car just doesn't cut it are frequent. I would do the same thing. I am the type who is willing to pay for convenience to a point.

However, for most people, it is not a difference of a few hundred dollars a year in gas and wear and tear. It is almost a $1000 or more. See my previous post for an example. Keep in mind that neither of our commutes are long. So, if that kind of money is worth it to you then that's cool but just understand what you are paying for. A lot of people underestimate quite a bit how much one of these vehicles cost as opposed to an econ car.

you are right. the majority of people do NOT need a truck. BUT like i said a few times where i live (in teh country) you do need it and nearly everyone i know has one.

i drive a mini van. Though i also have a bad hip and leg. i find its far easyer for me to get in the van then any low vehicle.

we also have 2 kids and go to see my parents and hers (both long drives). it would be silly to take 2 cars. Sure we could get a large car but that does not save anything either. my van gets 20MPG wich is pretty good and better then soem cars.

Yes, it is clear you take advantage of what a truck/van/SUV has to offer quite a bit. I can't say I agree with the statement in bold though. Most econ cars get over 30MPG. Some are over 35.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

I understand that if the occasions where an Econ car just doesn't cut it are frequent. I would do the same thing. I am the type who is willing to pay for convenience to a point.

However, for most people, it is not a difference of a few hundred dollars a year in gas and wear and tear. It is almost a $1000 or more. See my previous post for an example. Keep in mind that neither of our commutes are long.

Yes, it is clear you take advantage of what a truck/van/SUV has to offer quite a bit. I can't say I agree with the statement in bold though. Most econ cars get over 30MPG. Some are over 35.

yes econ cars. but a car large enough to take 2 kids and crap on a 6h drive still have bad fuel econ. i had a taurus that sucked.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

yes econ cars. but a car large enough to take 2 kids and crap on a 6h drive still have bad fuel econ. i had a taurus that sucked.

You would be surprised. My 2005 Elantra provides a very comfortable 6h ride and the millage is awesome. The reliability of the parts are also top notch. Granted, there is only so much room to pack stuff but it isn't much less than any other car whether it is considered econ or not. It has never been a problem. I have a family of 3 currently, but if that number bumped up to 4 it still wouldn't be an issue.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Let these silly Americans drive their 2 MPG SUVs by themselves that are only good for driving through Arctic Tundra.

can you list what SUV's get 2 mpg?

You would be surprised. My 2005 Elantra provides a very comfortable 6h ride and the millage is awesome. The reliability of the parts are also top notch. Granted, there is only so much room to pack stuff but it isn't much less than any other car whether it is considered econ or not. It has never been a problem. I have a family of 3 currently, but if that number bumped up to 4 it still wouldn't be an issue.

yeah some of them are pretty good. With 2 young kids (one 1.5 yrs old) you need a lot of junk. considering we usualy stay a few days.

once my kids are a little older i will look into a diffrent vehicle. though most cars are still so low its hard for me to get in and out. but as little as i drive it might be worht it.

though i like my van heh.