How do you live without an SUV/truck?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: Drako
Rent a truck when you need one.

I also used to have a car with a roof rack, so I could strap some lighter weight stuff up there.

I'm only 20. I don't think there is anyone who will rent to me.

Originally posted by: Journer
it sucks sometimes but you can always try to borrow a friends or relatives (i barrow my dad's). but if you move stuff often or have yard work to be done then it is easier to just own your own.

Yeah. I don't need the abilities of a truck/suv that often, but its really nice to have it available for those random things.
I think Uhaul will rent to anyone with a credit card, auto insurance, and at least one usable eye and limb.

If you're not towing or hauling furniture every day, it's probably not worth it. Don't forget to factor in the cost difference, possible differences in auto insurance rates, and of course, gas costs over the years. Hell, I wish I could buy a smaller car (something more like an enclosed motorcycle would do the trick), as it is such a waste to lug along the whole car just for the purpose of moving around my comparatively small mass. (Car is a 4-door '97 Hyundai Elantra)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
This is an exhaustive list of items I've towed in the last ten years:

I can fit a washer and dryer in the back of my station wagon at the same time... anything bigger than that, I rent a vehicle or find a kind, willing soul to assist.

Me: single and double jetski trailers over 100 times, 17 ft i/o boat on trailer, car trailer, flatbed trailer with hot tub on it. Smaller trailer for lawn tractor, stump grinder,

Those are just things I've towed in the past few years

What i've put in the bed of my truck would fill probably 100 lines of this post.

I dont use my truck much in the winter, but its invaluable in the summer time.

97 f150

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: dirtylimey
- Gain friends. Specifically, friends with a truck
- have it delivered
- Rent a truck
- make more trips
- Bungee cord + roof of car = carrying capacity of a truck

I would ask how can you live with an SUV/Truck? For most people I reckon the 1 day a year you actually need it for something a car cant do, doesnt make up for the extra money you spend in that year on gas that could have been spent on perhaps a...u-haul?

(ignore the above if you are some kind of lumber/equipment/cadaver hauling type person)

yeah, I am one of those suckers...

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
If my 1600cc little red sports car has a towing capacity of 1500 lbs, there's NO excuse for not just using a trailer for the VAST majority of hauling operations. Beyond that, rent a U-haul.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Yeah, if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV. Otherwise those monthly mulch/gardening/lawn care/furnature/oversized boxes are going to cost you a fortune in $25 rentals.

I wish they would bring out a cheap and fuel effience vehicle for this purpose only. Mazda used to make the B2200, which got decent gas milage and got the job done for under $12000, but those days are gone. Pickups are more expensive than cars now---that's stupid.

I own a home and I don't have a truck. That's ridiculous...

Many of us in the "flyover" states you like to bash have lots measured in acres and not sq/ft. When you have an acre+ of yard to take care of having a truck can be mighty helpful.

:lips:My sister has acres of land in upstate NY and she and her husband don't own a truck.

Oh well then, why didn't you say so! If your SISTER doesn't own a truck, then by all means, we MUST be mistaken.

Sorry for wasting all of your time with this thread. Sorry!

Right, I'm sorry...I guess I should have said my Brother-In-Law...because we all know women can't own land or do yard work or drive trucks. :roll:

Congrats, you win the award for dumbest post of the day. :beer:

Congrats on not picking up sarcasm. Your reply basically said "if one person I know doesn't agree with the OP, then the OP's argument is invalid." Like your sister (or BIL) is the sole standard we should live by.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Gothgar
Originally posted by: dirtylimey
- Gain friends. Specifically, friends with a truck
- have it delivered
- Rent a truck
- make more trips
- Bungee cord + roof of car = carrying capacity of a truck

I would ask how can you live with an SUV/Truck? For most people I reckon the 1 day a year you actually need it for something a car cant do, doesnt make up for the extra money you spend in that year on gas that could have been spent on perhaps a...u-haul?

(ignore the above if you are some kind of lumber/equipment/cadaver hauling type person)

yeah, I am one of those suckers...

I don't let myself be one.

I refuse to tow/haul anything for anyone but myself.

OVERKILL

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
The last 3 vehicles I've owned were SUV's.
The current one is a 2000 Expedition 4x4.

I can't imagine having a car anymore, unless it's for a backup vehicle.
Being a bigger guy, I like having more room.

In addition, the cargo space is a huge plus and I do feel safer in a larger vehicle.
It's also used for towing.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
How do you live without an SUV/truck?
I don't.

I can't imagine that a week goes by without me throwing something in the back of my '98 F150.

Although, I do have other more fuel efficient vehicles at my disposal which get used more frequently, I couldn't do without my truck.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I wish I had a compact car. I bought a Grand Cherokee because I was planning to move to somewhere with good offroading, and live close to work. But instead I'm back at my parents' and commuting to work 20 miles away at 16mpg combined. D'oh!!!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As far as fuel costs go...

My truck averaged 18MPG and took regular fuel.
My Passat wagon(V6) averaged 23MPG and took premium.

Over 10,000 miles figuring $3.00 a gallon for regular and $3.20 a gallon for premium that came out to be about $275 a year in extra fuel.

10,000/18 = 555.5 gallons
555.5 * 3 = $1667

10,000/23 = 435 gallons
435 * 3.2 = $1392

1667 - 1392 = $275.

When I was in Iowa registration on a truck was $50 a year. My Passat was $230.

Insurance was about $60 a year more.

So my truck was about $100 more a year to operate.

That's less than $10 a month.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Yeah, if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV. Otherwise those monthly mulch/gardening/lawn care/furnature/oversized boxes are going to cost you a fortune in $25 rentals.

I have been a home owner for over 10 years and I disagree.

What a waste it would have been for me to own an SUV for the past 10 years.

MotionMan

I suppose it depends on how much stuff you do outside. I've on a 2/3 acre lot and have lots of landscaping.

My gardener has his truck for that. ;)

MotionMan

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: OVERKILL
In addition, the cargo space is a huge plus and I do feel safer in a larger vehicle.

Really? I feel safer in my sports car. When I'm driving a truck, I KNOW I won't be able to avoid an accident if it happens right in front of me, and I KNOW that my stopping distance is huge.

Not getting into an accident in the first place >> getting pulled out of the mangled wreckage that used to be your truck with nothing more than a broken arm and a few cuts.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I don't live without one. Suburban and a Tahoe, FTW. I'm too damn tall and big to fit comfortably in any car, and other than once in awhile, I don't need a truck, so SUV's it is.

OVERKILL

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: OVERKILL

Really? I feel safer in my sports car. When I'm driving a truck, I KNOW I won't be able to avoid an accident if it happens right in front of me, and I KNOW that my stopping distance is huge.

Not getting into an accident in the first place >> getting pulled out of the mangled wreckage that used to be your truck with nothing more than a broken arm and a few cuts.

In A larger vehicle, you have more metal round you, in theory, it could very well be safer.
Imagine getting hit in an accident and not being able to swerve. So the only protection you have is the vehicle that your in.
I'd much rather be in a bigger vehicle than a smaller one. :beer:

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
I also enjoy having the view from riding up high.

personally i enjoy being low to the ground. More exhilerating that way, and i feel more attached to the road.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Randum

Suv is nice in the winter, maybe you can find a bigger car??

if winter driving is a concern, something like a subaru is what you need. SUV's have always seemed overrated for winter weather imo.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
contractor + mexicans to do bigger projects. they tend to have trucks themselves.
small projects tend to fit in a car.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free. I'm really tempted to do it, but I'm not sure how I can live without an SUV.

What do you when you need to carry something big? What if you need to tow something? etc

Also, in August I'll be moving into a new place. I'll be buying furniture and appliances left and right. I can't imagine how I would do this with only a car at my disposal.

stores don't deliver?
how often do you need to tow or haul stuff?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've lived without one for about 10 years (since I started driving). No use for one. I've moved up to school, a couple times there, and back home, and just used my car. My dad helped with his truck but I could've done it with just my car.

Truck I could see having for some things. SUV, I'll never own.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

What do you when you need to carry something big? What if you need to tow something? etc

Also, in August I'll be moving into a new place. I'll be buying furniture and appliances left and right. I can't imagine how I would do this with only a car at my disposal.

most big things can be deleivered if not rent a truck its like 30$ a day