How do you live without an SUV/truck?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I don't see the point of an SUV unless you're moving lots of stuff all the time. My uncle has a truck so if I even needed to move anything he's got me covered. My firend tows a little trailer around with his ford tempo for couches and stuff.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
unless you are a nomad, i doubt you travel every week! lol

The only thing i worry about in my car is fitting my bike in the back, but the folding down of seats, and a towel = perfect.

Suv is nice in the winter, maybe you can find a bigger car?? and for moving, just get a uhaul, dont need to worry about messing it up etc

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
You can't fit crap in most SUVs anyway. They don't really have anymore room in them then a station wagon. I have a beater minivan as an extra car and with its much taller interior space you can really stuff some crap in there with the seats out. My friends with SUVs borrow my van anytime they need to move something bulky because it either fits a lot better in the van or its a hell of a lot easier to get it into the van thanks to it much lower doorways.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Leros
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free. I'm really tempted to do it, but I'm not sure how I can live without an SUV.

What do you when you need to carry something big? What if you need to tow something? etc

Also, in August I'll be moving into a new place. I'll be buying furniture and appliances left and right. I can't imagine how I would do this with only a car at my disposal.

I live perfectly fine without an SUV/truck.

You'd be amazed at how many furniture delivery fees you can pay for with the money you'll save on gas. Seriously, I've had about 3-4 times during the past couple years where having a truck would have been handy.

I have no use whatsoever for SUVs.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Yeah, if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV. Otherwise those monthly mulch/gardening/lawn care/furnature/oversized boxes are going to cost you a fortune in $25 rentals.

I wish they would bring out a cheap and fuel effience vehicle for this purpose only. Mazda used to make the B2200, which got decent gas milage and got the job done for under $12000, but those days are gone. Pickups are more expensive than cars now---that's stupid.

I own a home and I don't have a truck. That's ridiculous...

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV. Otherwise those monthly mulch/gardening/lawn care/furnature/oversized boxes are going to cost you a fortune in $25 rentals.

I have been a home owner for over 10 years and I disagree.

What a waste it would have been for me to own an SUV for the past 10 years.

MotionMan

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I wish they would bring out a cheap and fuel effience vehicle for this purpose only. Mazda used to make the B2200, which got decent gas milage and got the job done for under $12000, but those days are gone. Pickups are more expensive than cars now---that's stupid.

Many of us in the "flyover" states you like to bash have lots measured in acres and not sq/ft. When you have an acre+ of yard to take care of having a truck can be mighty helpful.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Many of us in the "flyover" states you like to bash have lots measured in acres and not sq/ft. When you have an acre+ of yard to take care of having a truck can be mighty helpful.

:lips:My sister has acres of land in upstate NY and she and her husband don't own a truck.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Just fine. It's cheaper to rent a truck twice a year then to fill up a truck with gas all year.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

Except, the statement was "if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV" and not "if you own a home on a large piece of property..."

OP does not seem to fall into either category in any event.

MotionMan

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Even if no one would rent a truck to you for the savings in gas you could pay someone to rent a truck and move whatever you needed.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: MotionMan

Except, the statement was "if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV" and not "if you own a home on a large piece of property..."

MotionMan

I live in a state where people own property "measured in acres not sq/ft" and they use trucks and SUVs even less. Few people with a 5 acre plot do their own landscaping to the point that they buy multiple trucks of mulch/whatever every year. Generally they have a small garden and mow the rest at best. It's people in suburban america on half an acre that landscape the entire thing. Fritzo's claim that $25 truck rentals would outweigh the cost because of landscaping/whatever is rediculous. At a tank a week my Toyota is significantly more than $25 less in gas than a large truck or SUV (as my fiance's dad has proven with an explorer, not even a large turck/SUV) so I would have to rent more than a truck per week to spend more than the truck/SUV's gas which wouldn't happen even if I owned 100 acres.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: zinfamous
I use my teeth to drag whatever large and heavy object I happen to be moving.

Wimp, I have my taint pierced for such things.

/wow, think I even grossed myself out with that one....

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i havent had a truck in 3 years. I wish i didnt give my old truck away.

when i moved off my farm i didn't think i would need it as often. boy i was wrong! my van is nice but just does not fit what i need all the time.

in teh summer are thinking of getting a nice used one.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Lazy8s

MotionMan

I live in a state where people own property "measured in acres not sq/ft" and they use trucks and SUVs even less. Few people with a 5 acre plot do their own landscaping to the point that they buy multiple trucks of mulch/whatever every year. Generally they have a small garden and mow the rest at best. It's people in suburban america on half an acre that landscape the entire thing. Fritzo's claim that $25 truck rentals would outweigh the cost because of landscaping/whatever is rediculous. At a tank a week my Toyota is significantly more than $25 less in gas than a large truck or SUV (as my fiance's dad has proven with an explorer, not even a large turck/SUV) so I would have to rent more than a truck per week to spend more than the truck/SUV's gas which wouldn't happen even if I owned 100 acres.

depends on what you do with that 100 acres.

if you just live on it and don't do squat. yeah you don't need a truck.

i went down to 4 acres. But i have found i still need one every few months. From buying stuff to work on the house to building stuff on teh property (this summer i want to build a playhouse for the kids). Also we plan on getting goats, chickens and need to build a pen. also need another shed (have 2 heh).

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I missed my old SUV as well...but I'm amazed at what I can cram into a Honda Accord.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

MotionMan

I suppose it depends on how much stuff you do outside. I've on a 2/3 acre lot and have lots of landscaping.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

:lips:My sister has acres of land in upstate NY and she and her husband don't own a truck.

Oh well then, why didn't you say so! If your SISTER doesn't own a truck, then by all means, we MUST be mistaken.

Sorry for wasting all of your time with this thread. Sorry!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

MotionMan

I suppose it depends on how much stuff you do outside. I've on a 2/3 acre lot and have lots of landscaping.

And you do that with a truck? :confused:

I do my own yard work, and personally I use a lawnmower and a trimmer. :p

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Oh well then, why didn't you say so! If your SISTER doesn't own a truck, then by all means, we MUST be mistaken.

Sorry for wasting all of your time with this thread. Sorry!

Right, I'm sorry...I guess I should have said my Brother-In-Law...because we all know women can't own land or do yard work or drive trucks. :roll:

Congrats, you win the award for dumbest post of the day. :beer: