How do you live without an SUV/truck?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free. I'm really tempted to do it, but I'm not sure how I can live without an SUV.

What do you when you need to carry something big? What if you need to tow something? etc

Also, in August I'll be moving into a new place. I'll be buying furniture and appliances left and right. I can't imagine how I would do this with only a car at my disposal.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Rent a Uhaul for $20? Unless you do major hauling or towing every day, it'll be cheaper.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Rent a truck when you need one.

I also used to have a car with a roof rack, so I could strap some lighter weight stuff up there.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
it sucks sometimes but you can always try to borrow a friends or relatives (i barrow my dad's). but if you move stuff often or have yard work to be done then it is easier to just own your own.

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
- Gain friends. Specifically, friends with a truck
- have it delivered
- Rent a truck
- make more trips
- Bungee cord + roof of car = carrying capacity of a truck

I would ask how can you live with an SUV/Truck? For most people I reckon the 1 day a year you actually need it for something a car cant do, doesnt make up for the extra money you spend in that year on gas that could have been spent on perhaps a...u-haul?

(ignore the above if you are some kind of lumber/equipment/cadaver hauling type person)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I feel the same OP. Hauling 3 dogs, bikes, people, stuff from Home Depot/Lowes, etc. having a SUV makes things so much more convenient. I also enjoy having the view from riding up high.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Drako

I also used to have a car with a roof rack, so I could strap some lighter weight stuff up there.

I'm only 20. I don't think there is anyone who will rent to me.

Originally posted by: Journer
it sucks sometimes but you can always try to borrow a friends or relatives (i barrow my dad's). but if you move stuff often or have yard work to be done then it is easier to just own your own.

Yeah. I don't need the abilities of a truck/suv that often, but its really nice to have it available for those random things.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This is an exhaustive list of items I've towed in the last ten years:

I can fit a washer and dryer in the back of my station wagon at the same time... anything bigger than that, I rent a vehicle or find a kind, willing soul to assist.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Beats me. I just bought a v6 RAV4, and traded in my focus. I couldn't be happier. Equal gas mileage, more room, more features, and much more power.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
You asked how can we live without one when all you'll be doing is moving furniture?

I frequent the pine barrons in NJ and those who own pickups use them because their livelyhood and lifestyle depends on them.

A station wagon fills my needs perfectly, I don't need a huge truck, they do. Sounds like you just need to borrow one.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
I have a skateboard. Hopefully I'll have my car out here next year.

Worst case scenario is there a U-Haul close by? I mean, if the upgrade is that signifigant and you could find a way to get around not having an SUV (roof rack and renting a truck from U-Haul) then I say do it. It's your decision though, I can't say I don't love my Honda CR-V.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
I feel the same OP. Hauling 3 dogs, bikes, people, stuff from Home Depot/Lowes, etc. having a SUV makes things so much more convenient. I also enjoy having the view from riding up high.

Yeah, I go to home depot and such for all the time for various projects.

Really I should just keep my SUV. This car is so nice though, and my SUV is crappy and gets terrible mileage. I also do about 20 hours of highway driving every month, which is much more pleasant in a nice car.

Hmmmm, I can't decide.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Leros

Enterprise rents to those 18 and older.

If I need to I rent a truck or use a friends - but I also rent a townhouse (aka no home improvement needs)

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free.

I think this requires a lot more explanation.

There is always a way when there is a will.

Originally posted by: Journer

Yeah. I don't need the abilities of a truck/suv that often, but its really nice to have it available for those random things.

Then you would be stupid to keep a "crappy" vehicle over a "really nice" one.

MotionMan

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
CS hugs his supercharged Xterra.

It's been off road numerous times. And I mean off road. I don't mean the dirt road on the way to the town dump, I mean through the middle of the f*ckin' woods off road. Tow the boat all over with it. Go camping all over with it. I can't imagine not having an X.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: EGGO
You asked how can we live without one when all you'll be doing is moving furniture?

I do projects and stuff all the time. I go to home depot and pick up lumber, etc. I go camping and transport a lot of equipment. I can think of more examples. It isn't a one time thing.

I wish I could just keep both and use the SUV when necessary, but I think the insurance would be too high for both.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Umm I'll trade my SUV for a nice car any day now. Having an SUV in a city is pain... they are very handy at times, but not sure if it is worth it.

Edit: It take me 2 trips to move anywhere with my SUV.... still not worth it, I move once a year.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For the first time in 30+ years I don't have a pick-up. There have been several times since I sold my last one (96 Dakota with 215,000 on the clock) but fortunately, my neighbor has one and will haul stuff for me. We have an Expedition 4X4 so that's definitely a truck, but it's certainly not much of a hauler. It's a dammed good trailer puller though...

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Having moved into a new house recently and doing home improvements for the last few months, my Honda Element has come in very handy.
Just this past weekend I picked up a 48" kitchen base cabinet and slid it and the giant box it came in right in the back.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
SUV is easy....I have a wagon. :p

Truck...I got rid of mine because I have two relatives now within a 10 minute drive I could get one from.

If I didn't have a loaner or two on hand I don't think I would have considered dumping it. At some point I'll probably end up grabbing a cheap beater or one of those $12,000 F150 loss leaders to use for Home Depot runs and random landscaping stuff around the yard.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: MotionMan
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free.

I think this requires a lot more explanation.

My mom died a few months ago. Her car has just been sitting around collecting dust and my dad offered it to me for free. The reason I would be trading it is that I don't want pay insurance for two cars and my dad would like to have a backup/beatup car.