How do you live without an SUV/truck?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Let these silly Americans drive their 2 MPG SUVs by themselves that are only good for driving through Arctic Tundra.

Dumbest post so far in this thread.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy

Originally posted by: Xavier434

yes econ cars. but a car large enough to take 2 kids and crap on a 6h drive still have bad fuel econ. i had a taurus that sucked.

You would be surprised. My 2005 Elantra provides a very comfortable 6h ride and the millage is awesome. The reliability of the parts are also top notch. Granted, there is only so much room to pack stuff but it isn't much less than any other car whether it is considered econ or not. It has never been a problem. I have a family of 3 currently, but if that number bumped up to 4 it still wouldn't be an issue.

yeah some of them are pretty good. With 2 young kids (one 1.5 yrs old) you need a lot of junk. considering we usualy stay a few days.

once my kids are a little older i will look into a diffrent vehicle. though most cars are still so low its hard for me to get in and out. but as little as i drive it might be worht it.

though i like my van heh.

I do admit that the one reason why I would enjoy an SUV over my current vehicle is that I would be sitting higher up. I feel that is safer because I can see more. However, the irony behind that is the main reason I can see more is due to the abundance of SUVs, Trucks, and Vans being the primary cause for my lack of vision.

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
very easy, vw golf with the seats folded down and a trailer. Got the diesel engine, it can pull everything I have thrown at it without even a hiccup and when I am not towing anything I still get 60mpg

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

yes econ cars. but a car large enough to take 2 kids and crap on a 6h drive still have bad fuel econ. i had a taurus that sucked.

You would be surprised. My 2005 Elantra provides a very comfortable 6h ride and the millage is awesome. The reliability of the parts are also top notch. Granted, there is only so much room to pack stuff but it isn't much less than any other car whether it is considered econ or not. It has never been a problem. I have a family of 3 currently, but if that number bumped up to 4 it still wouldn't be an issue.

i used to love traveling in my intgrepid... 3 kids in the back seat and a trunk full of crap, about 25mpg on the highway and a great stereo. unfortunately, the ex wife thought traveling meant take a bus like her suburban. we could seat 8 but only had 5, two dogs in the very back and a crapton of crap stowed everywhere. sure, it was roomy but the mileage wasnt as good. almost tho, on flat roads we could push 21-22 mpg out of it.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Let these silly Americans drive their 2 MPG SUVs by themselves that are only good for driving through Arctic Tundra.

Dumbest post so far in this thread.

ya, my 2wd dodge ram i drive would never survive in real snow or mud. and it gets way better than 2mpg.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
I have been wanting to buy a pickup for years, but they are so damn expensive. Otherwise I pay the delivery fee for an appliance/furniture/tv or use a uhaul when I move.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
I spend $20 the one time every few years that I need one.

When I go the mountains, the one time every couple of years that I'm there while it is snowing hard enough to outpace the plows, I chain up.

The rest of the time, my life doesn't suck, because I drive a machine that can be driven instead of ridden in.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've never seen the point in an suv.

there have been times when I've wished I had a truck -- and the next car I buy might very well be one now that I don't live in the city -- but for my needs, I either suck it up and pay delivery fees or I use my connection at Enterprise to get a free van for an afternoon.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I like trucks, and I drive a full size four door pickup with a short bed. I wouldn't give it up for a car.