How do you live without an SUV/truck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: MotionMan
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free.
I think this requires a lot more explanation.
My mom died a few months ago. Her car has just been sitting around collecting dust and my dad offered it to me for free. The reason I would be trading it is that I don't want pay insurance for two cars and my dad would like to have a backup/beatup car.
And how far away do your parents live? Couldn't you just borrow the truck whenever you needed it?

MotionMan

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I have an opportunity to trade my crappy SUV for a really nice car for free.
I think this requires a lot more explanation.
My mom died a few months ago. Her car has just been sitting around collecting dust and my dad offered it to me for free. The reason I would be trading it is that I don't want pay insurance for two cars and my dad would like to have a backup/beatup car.
And how far away do your parents live? Couldn't you just borrow the truck whenever you needed it?

MotionMan
390 miles. I've been driving for the past month or so. I'll be dropping it off next time I go home and bring my SUV back so I can do some moving. But I can't do that all the time.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
When I need to get something big from HD or Lowe's, I rent their truck for $20. I looked into buying an old, cheap pickup truck, but came to the conclusion that the amount of times I'd need it would not justify even a relatively small cost.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
My first two vehicles that I owned where trucks. Since then, I've gone from a hatchback, to a sedan, and now have a coupe. Honestly, even with owning a home, I find no need for a truck. Home Depot rents them for $20/hour, I can get a movie truck for $50-75/day, or have the place deliver.

I'm not a big save the Earth type person, but I do like having extra green to spend from not having to pay for extra gas, expensive tires, higher registration fees, and so on.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Cold Steel
CS hugs his supercharged Xterra.

It's been off road numerous times. And I mean off road. I don't mean the dirt road on the way to the town dump, I mean through the middle of the f*ckin' woods off road. Tow the boat all over with it. Go camping all over with it. I can't imagine not having an X.
My next vehicle will probably be an Xterra.

However, I've gotten my Maxima back into some interesting campgrounds.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
except for places that snow and you need 4wd I never really understood why anyone would need an suv. There was one guy I knew who had 6 adopted kids and had one of those huge escalades but otherwise wtf.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: OdiN

It's been off road numerous times. And I mean off road. I don't mean the dirt road on the way to the town dump, I mean through the middle of the f*ckin' woods off road. Tow the boat all over with it. Go camping all over with it. I can't imagine not having an X.

Heh. I took a Taurus rental into places that no sedan should have ever been when we went hiking in Sedona.

:D

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Also, it sounds like you already made up your mind in your OP to keep the SUV, why even ask? I hate when people ask for opinions when they already made up their mind and do what they were going to do in the first place, its just like giving relationship advice lol

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
SUV's really can't hold much. A typical van with the seats folded down or removed would hold far more as would almost any truck. Heck, many cars can hold almost the same amount. Take my Civic for example:
[*]I've hauled large cushioned lounge chairs in the back seat (upside down),
[*]700 sq ft of wood flooring. You should have seen the clerks' faces when I pulled up in a Civic to get it. Okay, I did need two trips and the Civic was riding quite low, but it did work.
[*]A dinette set with table and 4 chairs.
[*]Hundreds of 10 foot boards and PVC pipes. I think I can fit up to 11' or 12' angled, but I've never tried. And these are with the trunk closed. I could go larger with the trunk open.

The few times that I've needed more (drywall for example), I've paid a friend $10 to borrow their truck. Total cost in 10 years: $30 in "rental fees". I bet a SUV/truck used rarely to its full potential costs far more than $30 over 10 years. Heck, just one tank of gas made my Civic cheaper than the rent I had to pay. I've also borrowed my parents van once.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I buy a car based on what I need 90% of the time, not 10%. For those rare occasions when it would be nice to have some additional capacity, I just rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowe's. It costs ~$20 and I can haul a lot more than I could in an SUV.

I might change my mind if I buy a boat or something, but otherwise there's little need.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Hmm. Found a local place that rents all kinds of trucks (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton flatbed, 20' flatbed, dumptruck!). They will rent to anybody 18 or older. Under 21 is an extra $5. Not too bad. I didn't realize I had options like that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I use my teeth to drag whatever large and heavy object I happen to be moving.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I don't. I've owned my last car - it's SUVs from here out unless carmakers start making cars comfortable for a 6'5" person.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
I went from an SUV to a car in the past year or so. The SUV was great when I bought my condo, because I was getting drywall, appliances, lumber a lot. For me it was more convenient to have a SUV, but cheaper to have a car even when factoring in costs for delivery or truck rental.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yeah, if you own a home, you HAVE to have access to a pickup or an SUV. Otherwise those monthly mulch/gardening/lawn care/furnature/oversized boxes are going to cost you a fortune in $25 rentals.

I wish they would bring out a cheap and fuel effience vehicle for this purpose only. Mazda used to make the B2200, which got decent gas milage and got the job done for under $12000, but those days are gone. Pickups are more expensive than cars now---that's stupid.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: rivan
I don't. I've owned my last car - it's SUVs from here out unless carmakers start making cars comfortable for a 6'5" person.
Are you talking for drivers or passengers? I've owned an SUV (mountaineer) and 2 cars (milan and cougar). Even though the cougar was tiny (no backseat), there was ample room for me in the drivers seat at 6'4". I can't tell any difference between the room available in the milan vs. mountaineer. The SUV was much easier to get in and out of because of the seat height though.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know how I could live without mine. Everything I own would fit into the back of it and that is a great feeling.

Actually I've lived out of a backpack (it was pretty big) for 7 months and that was even better feeling, so I guess I could downsize :p

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Heh. I took a Taurus rental into places that no sedan should have ever been when we went hiking in Sedona.

I should mention that my Maxima has larger tires than are normally on Maximas, and it is a bit further off the ground due to that - but still, yeah it does well for a regular old car.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I hauled a double bed on top of my 96 civic, got some rope and a couple friends to help. Find a lumberyard with free delivery. Items will cost a little more but it's better than wasting money on gas.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

I should mention that my Maxima has larger tires than are normally on Maximas, and it is a bit further off the ground due to that - but still, yeah it does well for a regular old car.
No.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Rent a Uhaul for $20? Unless you do major hauling or towing every day, it'll be cheaper.
exactly...although I do love my Tacoma...it wouldn't be practical if I drove a lot. Since I drive like 20 miles a week...really having a car isn't practical for me.

ASK THE COMMUNITY