How do you know when your appendix goes bad??

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
A spot on my stomach (my right lower side) has been giving me pain when I put a light amount of pressure on it for the past week. I am going to see the doctor tomorrow, but has anyone had any problems with theirs so I can look out for warning signs?

:Q

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
You know your appendix is going bad when it smells like dead fish. You know that it has burst when you are rolling on the ground in excruciating pain and screaming for someone to beat you to death with a baseball bat.

Good luck.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
It generally hurts like a mofo. There are occasionally cases where it becomes inflamed and yet is not so extremely painful that one goes to the doc and get it checked out...pretty rare tho.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
How do you know when your appendix goes bad

Well when my appendix went bad on me my appendix light started to flash.:D

You will know when your appendix goes bad by the pain my friend.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
What they all said.
Do you mean a spot as in a mark, or as in a certain location, because I don't think a bad appendix will cause a spot (mark) on your stomach. At least mine didn't.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
tenderness in the area you are describing can also be attributed to hepatitis.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
My appendix fell right out of a book I was reading . . . I got no warning whatsoever.

:D

You are doing the right thing by getting yourself checked out by an MD. Here you are more likely to get "worried" rather than useful info.

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
When mine "went bad" the pain, while bearable, made me very anxious. I couldn't sit still and I couldn't get away from it. I knew something was very wrong and immediately went to the ER.

If you are that concerned about it, go to the ER. No point in taking needless risks when it comes to your health.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Umm, where is the appendix located, just so I know it's not my kidneys. Not like I know where the kidneys are. :D

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking
tenderness in the area you are describing can also be attributed to hepatitis.

why do you have to scare the guy like that?

I mean i know he wants facts, but to say that and leave it at that is a bit idiotic.

Tell him how you might get hepatitis, and which one.... A B or C.

Dude, you'll be fine tomorrow. 99% of the time its something easy, and yes appendicitis? is fairly simple.

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Umm, where is the appendix located, just so I know it's not my kidneys. Not like I know where the kidneys are. :D
Kidneys = either side of the small of your back.
Appendix = Right side, a few inches down from your navel.

Had an appendectomy nearly 20 years ago. The ONLY symptom I ever had was pain. EXCRUCIATING pain. Unable-to-stand-up-in-the-shower pain.

About 20 min. before surgery, the pain went completely away.
They went in anyway. Good thing too. Doc said it would have ruptured within 24 hours.

You do NOT want a ruptured appendix.
Kid in my junior high school had a ruptured appendix, which turned gangrenous.
He survived, but just barely...

g/l

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
take your fingers and poke towards the lower right side of your abdomen. if you feel a sharp pain, i would not wait until tomorrow. i would definately go to the ER and get it checked out.

i woke up 4am and went straight to WebMD and did the checks like it told me. however, i still was confused so i went to work anyway. at work, i felt feverish and nauseated all morning, so i asked my boss if i could go to the doctors during lunch time. went to the doctor, he poked my stomach the same way i did at home, and i felt a sharp pain.

he immediately registered me for the ER and the next morning, i had the operation done. worst goddamn pain in my life when i woke up (could not move, which could have proven useful because i had to pee like a horse after the surgery), and i felt groggy for a month afterwards.

not trying to scare you, but it is not very good if it burst inside. it can cause serious infections.

when was your last bowel movement, and was it hard? this is when i knew something was wrong, because my crap was hard like a brick, with red material in there.:eek:

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
My girlfriend appendix was removed just few weeks ago. First she started to feel bad. the following night she was really nauseous. She kept on feeling ill, and she was operated in about 48 hours since the symptoms began. Her appendix had actually ruptured :(. She's feeling better now though :).

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Check the level on the dipstick or hook an ohm-meter up to it, whichever the case may be.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
friend had it burst a while back.. as others have said, the pain is so extreme you wouldn't be neffing;)

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
my cousin started having stomache pains but when the doctor checked him out he decided nothing was wrong, then my cousins appendix ruptured like a day or two later, it was pretty bad. luckily he's ok now