How do you guys / gals make some money on the side?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: amish
Originally posted by: Britboy
Getting ready to start playing the balance transfer game, just found out about it. Should be a relatively easy hobby that I can put as little or as much time in as I want, will start out with around $30K invested, build it up strategically. After a year or two I should be to get to the point where I can make $300-$400 a month for a few hours work.

WTF is the balance transfer game???
Seconded

And why would you want to do something that requires a $30K investment and takes a couple years to make $300-$400 a month? you could do a few side tech jobs a month and make that much; while it would involve more time it would involve little to no capital and much less than 1-2 years.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: amish
Originally posted by: Britboy
Getting ready to start playing the balance transfer game, just found out about it. Should be a relatively easy hobby that I can put as little or as much time in as I want, will start out with around $30K invested, build it up strategically. After a year or two I should be to get to the point where I can make $300-$400 a month for a few hours work.

WTF is the balance transfer game???

Transfer money from credit card to credit card even though you have the cash to pay it off. While in the 12 months 0% on balance transfers time period, you can use the cash to invest and make money off the interest. Basically, use credit cards like a 0% interest credit line to earn the interest.

It seems to be pretty popular over at fatwallet but I am not even close to an expert in analyzing the risks.

Edit : It requires some work but if done right, its relatively risk free (depending on your investments, give to lots of change to play with and the interest can be re-invested to expand the principal. Must have great credit and a high credit line on the credit cards though.

Jun 19, 2004
My ex g/f rents me out to her friends for educational of entertainment purposes. No sausage allowed.

Seriously though, she wanted to pimp me out to her friends on the side and it kinda freaked me out and turned me on all at once, too bad I had to leave her because she's psycho :(

My "side work" actually landed me where I am today, as a business owner. I knew little about computers, but enough to build them and troubleshoot the basics about 6 years ago. This got me in the "electronics dept." @ Staples. Back then they had PC repair services. I met SO MANY people (customers) that way who practically begged me to come to their house to do the work. Staples offered no on site service so the manager didn't mind. I was making a lot of contacts and money that way.

That's how I met my current boss, well now business partner. He owns a local repair shop, I went to work for him, fine tuned my skills and he realized I was more valuable to him than most of the other techs because I was also really good at sales and dealing with customer (even though I hate people, go figure).

That led to me being offered the chance to become full owner of their 2nd store, which I just did.

Networking is how life works.

tgx78

Jan 18, 2005
I go to my studio after I get off work and paint for 2-3 hours everyday.

My landscape oil painting sells for around $6000 - $9000 per piece through galleries

They take 50% commission but still I usually end up making around $4000

extra per month. I aiming to become a full time painter in 2-3 years.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: tgx78
I go to my studio after I get off work and paint for 2-3 hours everyday.

My landscape oil painting sells for around $6000 - $9000 per piece through galleries

They take 50% commission but still I usually end up making around $4000

extra per month. I aiming to become a full time painter in 2-3 years.

:thumbsup:

wow man that is really great. 2-3 hours a day doing something you love, and getting rewarded @ 4K/mo ... good job.

hell if i could get paid $4K/mo for whooping some kids in SF2 for 2-3 hours a day on xbox live, i'd be all over it!

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
I'm a hitman, the money is ok (50,000+ per hit) but there's a lot of maintenance involved and I always need to stay on top of the trend. My Barrett M82A1 needs constant cleaning and the parts aren't cheap to get. The planning for each hit is in itself a task and sometime I'm up countless hours trying to figure out the best method. Also, the clothes I wear have to be in good taste so no one expects anything. I guess it all depends on the amount of stress you can take.

Blazin Trav

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
I make the girls wanting to have a one night stand pay for the experience... jk... mostly ebay stuff, web design stuff.