How do you guys deal with bad coffee at work?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
lots of different brands. I think they even have k-cups that you can pack yourselves these days.

I'd wager, then, that there are probably quite a few good brands, as coffee lends itself to automation (read the article above on why). Of course, there's the cost aspect. Nespresso pods are $0.50, each.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
I'm glad I don't drink coffee. The people that do in the office always complain about it, so I'm sure it's bad.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'd wager, then, that there are probably quite a few good brands, as coffee lends itself to automation (read the article above on why). Of course, there's the cost aspect. Nespresso pods are $0.50, each.

I would really need a k-cup that handles an adequate amount of coffee.

< 1tbsp is most certainly not enough.

with standard keurig/*$ k-cups I have to use 2 just to get a half decent cup.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If you have water available for a Keurig, why not just get a small coffee maker? I've been using one of those little coffee makers that makes a pot big enough for two large cups of coffee. With a little practice at first, I perfected how much coffee grounds to use to get a perfect cup of coffee. Heck, you could just get a brita pitcher, filter your water, and make it at your desk (if you didn't have water close by.)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Coffeemaker at my desk. There's a community pot about 50ft away but that stuff is nasty. Nobody ever washes the pot and the coffee is weak. Did I mention its either Yuban or Folgers?

I lug in the 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled water too.

And agreed, just say no to Keurig ;) I'm sure even though I pay about $15 a pound for coffee it still works out cheaper than K-cups.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
A french press isn't too messy if you have a sink somewhere. Make the coffee in the morning, spend two minutes at the end of the day. It's also a good excuse to get away from your desk if you want a break.

I guess the one caveat is that you need hot water, but our water coolers have that.

I have training every thursday morning, and we used to get coffee from the food service. Cost ~$90 for the worst coffee I've ever had (was green mountain too, so I don't know what they did to it :( ). Now we just get three starbucks coffee travelers for half the price and the money is being saved for a party in the summer.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Ugh, they bought 2 huge buckets of Folgers Classic Roast.
Tastes like burnt.

Luckily I drink coffee maybe once a month.

I don't drink coffee, it keeps me awake during meetings.

In your case I wouldn't drink it ... just bring your own if you need the caffeine.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
The last place I worked had such a terrible Keurig machine. Keurigs are great for personal use, but in a work environment where they don't clean it out regularly, it makes terrible, terrible coffee.

I would usually either bring coffee in a thermos, buy from Dunkin' Donuts or McDonald's near work, or even (not as often) grind beans with a portable manual grinder and use with a french press I kept in my locker. People looked at me funny whenever I did this because it seems like a lot of effort, but it is worth it especially when all that's available is Green Mountain Dark Magic coffee made on an improperly cleaned coffee maker. I drink my coffee black and unsweetened and prefer light roasts. There's little to mask bad coffee if you aren't adding sweeteners or milk.

Thankfully, the place I am at now has a decent professional grade coffee maker and Eight O'clock coffee stocked. A caffeinated Crono is a happy Crono.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Coffeemaker at my desk. There's a community pot about 50ft away but that stuff is nasty. Nobody ever washes the pot and the coffee is weak. Did I mention its either Yuban or Folgers?

I lug in the 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled water too.

And agreed, just say no to Keurig ;) I'm sure even though I pay about $15 a pound for coffee it still works out cheaper than K-cups.

Odd, I think coffee tastes better coming from a stained coffee pot. Not sure why.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
The coffee machine at work makes it fresh each cup. Sort of an high tech version of a Kuerig machine. It's actually pretty good. If you don't like it there's a Tim Hortons and two Starbucks across the street.