how do you get ripped like this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: EGGO
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Thats not "ripped" this is "ripped." Of course the proper *ahem* supplements will be needed to be huge and ripped.

Low body fat and just the correct balance of water in your body is the key to getting all your muscles and veins to show clearly.

"Excuse me, do you have a sowing kit? BECAUSE I'M RIPPED!"

Honestly, I think the OP's guy turned out that way by doing many reps in 3 sets, rather than doing the heavy weights like the guy I quoted.

reps of what? what's a 3 set? is that like doing 3 sets of 10 crunches or something? I've never done any serious working out before, I don't know what all that means.

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
I think he might be flexing his abs cause it looks like hes laughing.

stop drinking beer and eating right will get you skinny and ripped in no time.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: EGGO
Thats not "ripped" this is "ripped." Of course the proper *ahem* supplements will be needed to be huge and ripped.

Low body fat and just the correct balance of water in your body is the key to getting all your muscles and veins to show clearly.

"Excuse me, do you have a sowing kit? BECAUSE I'M RIPPED!"

Honestly, I think the OP's guy turned out that way by doing many reps in 3 sets, rather than doing the heavy weights like the guy I quoted.

The guy in the OP picture isnt really built at all, it appears to me to be more good genetics (the abs) and naturally low body fat. He has no other defined muscle groups, except for his abs, and really has no outstanding muscle build at all.

curse good genetics! :) well, that's what I want to look like. I don't want big ginormous muscles like that guy Sluggo linked.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: vr6

I'm pretty good on everything but the diet and exercise so far. I don't drink, smoke, use drugs, or drink caffeine. I just need to make a good diet plan and a good exercise plan that I can stick to everyday.

SofaKing

Banned
Nov 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaido
Originally posted by: KLin
steroids. Lots and lots of steroids.

steriods? he's not that muscley. I don't want to look like Arnold, get buff then get fat when I stop exercising when I get older.

muscley? :laugh:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: SofaKing
Originally posted by: KLin
steroids. Lots and lots of steroids.

steriods? he's not that muscley. I don't want to look like Arnold, get buff then get fat when I stop exercising when I get older.

muscley? :laugh:

hence why I'm studying computers in college and not English. besides, it was either that or "muscly", which looked even less right...

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Actually, the guy in the OP is pretty ripped. Genetics is a factor, but that guy had to do a lot of work to get his abs like that. He's not bulky, but he's built.

Yeah, you gotta lose fat by dieting and gain muscle by working out with weights. For getting "ripped" you do medium weight and high reps. Say, 3 sets of 12 with a weight that gets pretty hard to lift by rep #10.

Or maybe just be a swimmer. They have bodies like that.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
low body fat is key. that's why I look pretty "ripped" despite having no muscle mass whatsoever. 6% body fat is nice :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Aztech
Actually, the guy in the OP is pretty ripped. Genetics is a factor, but that guy had to do a lot of work to get his abs like that. He's not bulky, but he's built.

Yeah, you gotta lose fat by dieting and gain muscle by working out with weights. For getting "ripped" you do medium weight and high reps. Say, 3 sets of 12 with a weight that gets pretty hard to lift by rep #10.

What's a good diet to go on?

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
It's not in my genetics to be ripped. When I got out of high school I played football for a season and did some very very hard workouts. I weighed only 135 lbs. Yet I still didn't look ripped. You could see my ribs and my collarbone, but my genetics dictates that my muscles are smooth and I always have a "soft" appearance. I think my skin is pretty thick.

Some people can diet and they'll rip up and they'll have good definition. Others will just be skinny, but won't be defined. I was working out constantly yet never could develop a toned physique. My dad and my brother are the same way- we can lose weight and get as skinny as we want, but we won't look jacked, we'll just look boney and weak. A few years ago I dieted down from 220 lbs down to 165 lbs. Yet still, I had no definition. The only time I could see defined shoulder muscles was when I was taking a load of 1-AD.

I'm 29 now and have been lifting since high school. I can do the weight I just don't look it.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
If you get serious about lifting, try not to get discouraged. You'll find that genetics plays a huge role in things and you'll probably never get to where you want to be (do any weightlifters?). You'll also have to put up with people telling you that you're not trying hard enough. My friend is genetically ripped and he sits on the couch and eats potato chips, beer, and soda. His brother does the same yet can pick my friend up over his head- without going to the gym.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Aztech

What's a good diet to go on?
I wouldn't follow any of those fad diets (Atkins, South Beach, etc...). I recommend the "everything in moderation" diet. Eat smaller portions, and choose healthier foods most of the time. Eat 6 smaller, spaced out meals rather than the traditional 3 big ones. You gotta get enough calories to have energy for your workouts. And, take a multivitamin. Good luck!

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: vr6

I'm pretty good on everything but the diet and exercise so far. I don't drink, smoke, use drugs, or drink caffeine. I just need to make a good diet plan and a good exercise plan that I can stick to everyday.

Smoking actually can decrease appetite.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
serious workout and watching everything that you eat.... you also need to have good genetics