How do you get rid of ringworm?

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
A year or two I had a couple small patches of ringworm, but I read that if you leave it alone for 2 or 3 months it will go away. And it did.

But now I have more ringworm. I've had it for probably 6 months, I never really kept track of when it started. I was hoping it would just go away again, but it hasn't. I have probably like 10 patches of it (chest and arms, possibly one on my leg), but only a couple of them are distinct. When my skin gets dry, it's easier to see where the ringworm is. So whenever I have an itch, I don't want to scratch it because I don't know if it's ringworm or not.

I don't want to put athlete's foot powder all over me, but I don't want to go to the doctor's to get an oral medication. Actually I do want to because that would be the easiest, but I don't like doctors.

So I was wondering if there are any good home remedies. The swimming pool will be opening soon, so maybe the chlorine will get rid of ringworm?

FreedomGUNDAM

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2006
think u need to see a doctor. My wife told me she had ringworm as a kid and had to be on medication for 3-4 weeks.

BTW: Just found our our dog has ringworm. Vet gave just some pills and spray.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
tinactin. ringworm is a fungus. tinactin will get rid of it quicker than anything else.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MeddyDuo
Actually I do want to because that would be the easiest, but I don't like doctors.

I've got a solution that you won't want to hear but may save your life some day. Start liking doctors.

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Yeah but since all the ringworm patches aren't distinct all the time, I would have to put Tinactin all over me.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The only thing I know of that will help is Athletes foot medication like Micatin or Lotrimin ointment & according to WebMD slightly more potent versions of these medications are the first line of defense a doctor will often try too.

However if you have more then one or two lesions and/or stubborn recurring infections, they may be an indication of a more serious underlying condition & you really should seek medical treatment before they become worse.

E-Medicine link

Web MD link

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: OpenThirdEye
Originally posted by: JM Aggie08
tinactin. ringworm is a fungus. tinactin will get rid of it quicker than anything else.

<madden>BOOM! Touch actin' Tinactin!</madden>

The helpful hardware place ... err ...

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I thought I had ringworm a couple times as a child. A simple antifungal cream took care of it. A couple years ago, I thought I had it again. It looked and behaved exactly like ringworm. But this time, it didn't go away with any form of antifungal cream.

Went to the doctor, and it was diagnosed as eczema. I have strange ring-shaped patches that look just like ringworm. A prescription steriod cream solved it almost instantly, fluocinonide.

panipoori

Aug 18, 2005
I had a ringworm for the better part of a year it would itch all the time and I thought it was just some weird patch of skin, it went away when i used some anti-fungal cream.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
WTF do they call it a worm if it's a fungus? Why don't they call it ring fungus? Ring worm sounds like you have a parasite!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
WTF do they call it a worm if it's a fungus? Why don't they call it ring fungus? Ring worm sounds like you have a parasite!

Because the patches are shaped like a ring and it was orginally thought to be a parasite and not a fungus. Ring-Worm.

Best bet is to go to the doctor, medicine will clear it up quick in a couple weeks. Otherwise you'll never cure it and it will just keep showing up. It is HIGHLY contagious to please don't go to the pool and spread it. If you have pets, they already have it as well and you'll have to follow a strict regime to treat them and keep them from re-infecting you or each other.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
How do you know it is ringworm? What you described doesn't sound like ringworm, it sounds like either psoriasis or dermatitis. Go see your doctor or a dermatologist.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
I really hope that you are joking about going to the pool.

I don't think I will be going to the pool anytime this year. Ugh! (Shudders!)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I had to take the medicine to get rid of it when I had it. That was some nasty medicine, gave me headaches and made me feel sick until I got used to it.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Well I read somewhere that the chlorine will get rid of ringworm.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

goatjc

Oct 25, 2006
I was a wrestler in high school and caught this stuff all the time (well, maybe 3-4 times). I always had luck w/ lotrimin.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Captante
The only thing I know of that will help is Athletes foot medication like Micatin or Lotrimin ointment & according to WebMD slightly more potent versions of these medications are the first line of defense a doctor will often try too.

However if you have more then one or two lesions and/or stubborn recurring infections, they may be an indication of a more serious underlying condition & you really should seek medical treatment before they become worse.

E-Medicine link

Web MD link

Opportunistic infecitons like ringworm and jock itch that persist can often be the sign of a dpressed immune response. At 6 months of ringworm it's worth checking out. You may be able to find a Doctor who will be comforting and not 'scary'. Go see a Dr.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Well I read somewhere that the chlorine will get rid of ringworm.

I'm going to ask again, why do you think you have ringworm? Have you had it diagnosed by a doctor?