How do you get rid of kittens

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TGS
Adopted two cats. One from the SPCA, and the other from PetsMart. The later was a neglected cat, but Petsmart got him healthy. He enjoys a leisurely house life now. :)

SPCA told me they could take anymore :(

1 year waiting list. I really don't get that, you would think after one year they would be less likely to be able to get rid of them as they are no longer kittens.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
If you cannot keep them, and you cannot give them away, I would drop them off in the country. They at least have a chance out there, however slim.
Or go to walmart for a day with a free kittens banner.
I'm sorry you are in this predicament.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
If you cannot keep them, and you cannot give them away, I would drop them off in the country. They at least have a chance out there, however slim.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO--Do not drop them off in the countryside. Jebus--stray cats kill native wildlife. Comprende?

Just euthanize the damn pussies.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Mermaidman

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO--Do not drop them off in the countryside. Jebus--stray cats kill native wildlife. Comprende?

Human beings kill native wildlife too.
If you want to kill the kittens, well, thats your choice.
I'd give them a chance in the wild.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

If I could legally reduce the human population en masse, I would too.
Anyway, the OP (and you) have the CHOICE to not contribute to the problem of non-native animals.

If nothing else, at least sterilize the cats.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001

If I could legally reduce the human population en masse, I would too.
Anyway, the OP (and you) have the CHOICE to not contribute to the problem of non-native animals.

If nothing else, at least sterilize the cats.

I will not be dropping them off anywhere because my wife would not allow it. She loves cats too much to do them any harm (she also hates the idea of declawing and spay/nudering, but as we are planning on keeping only a couple of females and we don't let them out of the house it shouldn't be an issue. However, if we end up keeping them we will need to spay/nuder at least one of the two genders.)

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Be careful about giving them away on craigslist, I knew a few kids in collge who would answer those ads and the proceed to do some awful things to them.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by: daveymark
Be careful about giving them away on craigslist, I knew a few kids in collge who would answer those ads and the proceed to do some awful things to them.

Did they ever end up answering wether a cat explodes or just kinda combusts in a microwave ?

INQUIRING MINDS WANTS TO KNOW !

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
There are clinics in most areas that get them spayed/neutered and get their vaccinations pretty cheap. I would start there. From there, get ads posted to adopt healthy cats to a nice home. Use your judgement tho, just don't give them away to the first psycho who comes to the door. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but you are doing the right thing.

GL and feel free to PM me for more advice or suggestions :)

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Be creative.

- Will a kitten land on it's feet if it 'drops' from your roof?
- How many kittens you can crush with one wheel? (car wheel)
- Have you ever juggled flaming kittens?

Just a few suggestions.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
You will either have to put them down, or find a home for them. You can also neuter/spay them and let them go, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Be creative.

- Will a kitten land on it's feet if it 'drops' from your roof?
- How many kittens you can crush with one wheel? (car wheel)
- Have you ever juggled flaming kittens?

Just a few suggestions.

Remember the "bread always lands butter side down"?

1. Strap some bread butter side up to a cat's back
2. Lob it off an elevated fixture
3. See which law wins.
4. Post back with results.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Pacemaker
So anyone have any ideas?

In situations like this, maybe the most humane thing is to take them somewhere they will be euthanized in a way that won't cause them to suffer. I think this is definitely a more valid choice than just releasing them in the country, which only perpetuates the cycle of feral cats breeding.