How do you get rid of dried up blood under your toenail?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Ok, you know when you drop something heavy on your toe, sometimes you get a blackish purple spot on your toenail? Is there any way to get rid of it, except for just wait until it goes away?

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
just wait it out....it will take care of itself. it takes a long time but it will eventually work itself out...

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm just waiting in the news forums for the title, " Man kicks person to death, then flees."
:p

Konigin

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Cartman2003
Ok, you know when you drop something heavy on your toe, sometimes you get a blackish purple spot on your toenail? Is there any way to get rid of it, except for just wait until it goes away?

Cut your toe off would be the fastest way.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
you need to trephine the nail to release the blood.
if you're brave enough heat the end of a paperclip in a flame till its very hot then press it over the blood collection.
the hot metal will bore thru the nail to the collected blood which usually gushes out!

hawkeye81x

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2001
Well if you stop going around and kicking bums so hard maybe you wouldn't have that problem...
I am ashamed of you :)

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: bacillus
if you're brave enough heat the end of a paperclip in a flame till its very hot then press it over the blood collection.
the hot metal will bore thru the nail to the collected blood which usually gushes out!

Yeah. Instead of just waiting it out, since nothing happens, st_b yourself with something extremely hot. Good idea.
rolleye.gif

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Jehovah
Originally posted by: bacillus

Yeah. Instead of just waiting it out, since nothing happens, st_b yourself with something extremely hot. Good idea.
rolleye.gif

I think that advice was meant in case it was causing pain... i actually did that when one of my fingers got hit by a door and blood started clotting under the nail causing a lot of pain from the pressure. The only relief was letting it out so i did bore a hole through my nail and out came the blood. :D

As for the original post... i think its just dried blood and yah you can just wait it out. :)

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Konigin
Originally posted by: Cartman2003

Cut your toe off would be the fastest way.

I think jumping into a wood chipper feet first should do it.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Believe it or not, if the blood is pretty far in, drilling a hole in your toenail is the best way. I smashed my big toe a few years ago, and it looked absolutely disgusting, big purplish spot of blood under the nail. I think I just took a small drill bit (seriously), steralized it, and then twisted it back and forth between my fingers until I managed to "drill" right through the nail. This seemd like a really creepy thing to do at the time, but it worked. Then I *think* I just stuck my foot under the tub faucet and wiggled the nail back and forth while holding it under warm water, which got out most of it... I'm pretty sure in between that I also poured hydrogen peroxide on it, it didn't hurt but whenever it touched the dried blood it would start fizzing and also helped to get rid of some of it.

I walked around for like a week before trying this, and believe me having a small hole in your toenail is MUCH less visually disturbing than having a freakin purple toenail. You could even "fill" the hole with clear nail polish if it bothered you, but it really wasn't a big deal. It took about a month before the nail had grown enough for me to be able to cut it super short and clip off the part with the hole.

Edit: I was trying to remember how I did this, and I'm pretty sure I dropped my jetski on my foot. Hah.