How do you get OTA TV info online?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have used TitanTV for many years but it's become a PITA. Lately it refuses to work in Chrome unless I disable my AdBlock+ extension. It's ads are relatively distracting and nasty, so I don't do that. So, I've kept Brave Browser open for TitanTV. But TitanTV even in Brave isn't working properly. I can right now get current scheduling for OTA TV but it's unresponsive if I want to see tomorrow's listings. I never had these problems in the past. It dawns on me that there must be other places I can ascertain complete OTA listings for my location (I'm in Berkeley, CA).

So, what are some better sites? What's the best?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am gonna say iptv is your best bet. Problem is the M3Us tend to have too many channels. You'll need to set favourites.

Try the local category in the list. All you need is vlc to test it to see if it fits your needs.

You can also use plex if you have paid version. Or Kodi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I googled and found this
TitanTV is nice in that you see at a glance what's offered for up to 6 hours. The default is IIRC 3 hours but I have it configured to show the maximum, 6 hours. A click (when it works right, which as I said in the OP it wasn't last night) and you see the subsequent 6 hours, another click and the 6 hours beyond that, etc. The dropdown you see allows you to select any date. You can even see yesterday's programming IIRC. Here's a screenshot of what it shows right now (without scrolling down to see higher channels):

TitanTV screenshot.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't found another site yet that's as clear and helpful as TitanTV. I just killed ad-blocking for the site in Chrome and it's behaving. I just have to put up with the ads. They flash in and out, are in various places, kind of windows here and there. I suppose I can learn to just ignore them for the most part. They do bug me but I get the functionality I want... I figure there may well be better ways to get the info I want, but maybe not.

Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
you are like the only person I know that watch broadcast and actually check what program is on...
tried this on VLC

1671899655811.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This looks like it might be helpful:

As one would expect, it's geared toward selling their company's offerings to some degree, i.e. it's from their point of view, not yours, so quasi-informative at best.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
you are like the only person I know that watch broadcast and actually check what program is on...
There's not a lot of stuff I'm willing to check out. Most TV is totally anathema to me. I always DVR so I can skip commercials, REW, FF, Pause. My TCL Roku TVs' DVR capabilities are severely limited. The main limitations are that they can deal with only 90 minutes of content, so you are limited in viewing something that happened no longer than 90 minutes ago and the other major limitation is that if you change channels you lose everything in the buffer, you are starting from NOW on the new channel. This sucks and I figure I will skirt around these limitations (there are a few other idiosyncrasies, some appear to be outright bugs) by obtaining an external tuner/DVR system of some kind and work it's output to one of the HDMI inputs of the TV. I've done a bit of research on this but not pursued it yet because I can and do put up with the limitations I'm dealing with and also am not really much into TV, mostly just some news and sports.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The functionality of TVGuide, Channel Master, everything I've hit so far totally sucks. Guess I'll stick with TitanTV. Stuck with ads but the functionality and usefulness are really good. I got into it because TitanTV was (and probably still is) integrated with the software that runs the HDTV card in my mid-tower system, which I have set up with a projection system. I can set up recordings right from the TitanTV page. I like my LED TVs better though, the picture is just way better. A new bulb would probably help or a new projector with the computer HDTV system.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Huh. I had that problem with TitanTV, but it went away. Maybe flush your browser cache?

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
It's more money, but if you are set on keeping OTA tv, then getting a TIVO may be a good option, especially with lifetime service. I have had mine for about 5-6 years, and it has a nice OTA tv guide that holds about two weeks worth of data. The only problem it has (at least in my area) is it doesn't always populate correct data for some of the local, independent stations. But for the major networks, it is pretty solid.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's more money, but if you are set on keeping OTA tv, then getting a TIVO may be a good option, especially with lifetime service. I have had mine for about 5-6 years, and it has a nice OTA tv guide that holds about two weeks worth of data. The only problem it has (at least in my area) is it doesn't always populate correct data for some of the local, independent stations. But for the major networks, it is pretty solid.

Now may not be the best time since the standard is in transition. ATSC is old news. NextGen TV is being rolled out.

I do get OTA, I just don't watch it. Came in handy for FIFA World Cup 2022.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The functionality of TVGuide, Channel Master, everything I've hit so far totally sucks. Guess I'll stick with TitanTV. Stuck with ads but the functionality and usefulness are really good. I got into it because TitanTV was (and probably still is) integrated with the software that runs the HDTV card in my mid-tower system, which I have set up with a projection system. I can set up recordings right from the TitanTV page. I like my LED TVs better though, the picture is just way better. A new bulb would probably help or a new projector with the computer HDTV system.
4K 3DLP Laser projector beckons :)

Uses pixel shift to create 4k from 1080P DLP, not sure we'll see a real 4k DLP chip any time soon.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
4K 3DLP Laser projector beckons :)

Uses pixel shift to create 4k from 1080P DLP, not sure we'll see a real 4k DLP chip any time soon.
I'll check that out, but the exceptional lumens actually bodes ill. My maximum throw in that room, where I have my PJ placed (I've had two there) is approximately 9 feet, and I can make that room quite dark very easily, so I don't need a super bright PJ. The most important requisite is very high contrast. I suppose there's other stuff. Color accuracy is not as important to me as most because of my partial color blindness. I'm a dope when it comes to determining color accuracy.

Edit: Whoa! I spent less than $2000 for each of my projectors... That sucker is pricey! TBH, I'm not unhappy with my 43" 4K LED cheapies. My complaint right now is the shitty smart TV feature system. I figure a workaround is just an external tuner/DVR system that's smart, efficient, bug free...

Last edited: