How do you find out your actual real IP in newer versions of Debian?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I see they deprecated ifconfig, I know I can probably install it but I may as well learn whatever new way there is. I found out about "ip address" but that just lists all the available IPs from the DHCP server, I just want to know the IP of the machine. What is the proper command for that?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That was posting about 100 IPs as well. Turns out something must have glitched when I did dhclient to get an IP. It literally took all 100 available IP addresses and assigned them to the main interface. After a reboot things acted normally.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
On android I have a program PortAuthority. It'll scan your wifi network, and show all the devices/addresses. Useful for a home/small office setup if you easily want to see what's where without logging into the router.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
"New way" ...
The 'ip' is part of 'iproute2' tools https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iproute2
and was written for Linux kernel 2.2 (which was released 1999).

"ip ad" lists addresses on your machine. "ip -4 ad" lists just the IPv4 addresses.

If your Debian has NetworkManager, then there is 'nmcli'.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ok I see the issue, for whatever reason it keeps getting a new IP every couple seconds. At one point it was holding on to each lease which is why I was getting a huge list. What is up with that? I plan to set to static anyway once I figure out how to do that in Debian but why is it not keeping the same IP lease instead of changing it all the time?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Lease time is 7192 seconds? That's a couple hours. Is it changing everytime you run 'ip a'?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems to change every couple seconds, it's weird. It just seems to cycle through the whole range. I'm dealing with something else so didn't get a chance to google how to set to static, but once I do that hopefully that will solve that issue. Just odd that it's not keeping the same IP as normally it will bind by mac unless another machine uses it while that machine is off.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sure is odd. What's your DHCP server? Could you map a static DHCP address quickly and circle back to it?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So think this is yet again my stupid NFS glitching. The file system got messed up and was read only, so it was not able to correctly write to the dhcp lease file. I used dhclient with verbose and there was an error (I'm working out of a console where I can't copy and paste so after a reboot I forget the name). But yeah that explains why it was glitching out.

I experimented with setting all my NFS shares as async to see if it does anything, been fighting this NFS issue for almost a decade it's a royal pain in the ass. I need to sit down one of these days and completely reengineer my network from scratch and figure out the best way to do it with minimum downtime. I want to look into ISCSI for the VMs, and SMB for regular file shares. Never really liked the way NFS does permissions anyway, so best to get off it completely.

Reactions: ch33zw1z