How do you enable the NumLock key in NT4.....BIOS is already enabled

joemama

Oct 16, 1999
Anyone know how to enable the NumLock key in the software in NT4 ? I have enabled it in the BIOS and it still not on after bootup. Any of you guru's have some ideas ? Thanks in advance.

Doug117

Oct 30, 2000
Mine seems to work fine... yeah, the first time after you install NT, the NumLock isnt on, but after I turned it on for the first time, it stuck... Wierd, huh?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In regedit, go to HKCU\Control Panel\Keyboard and change InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

Usual warnings about fooling with registry apply.

StuckMojo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999

i just had this problem in win2k...msdn says to log out using ctrl+alt+del and it will stick...or edit reg as above. i had this before with nt4 and fixed it with the reg key. however, on my 2k box, the damn system set the reg key back every time i logged out!! very odd

so, my solution, which will help you, should you also have this prob, was to use regedt32 and set the privs on that key to deny everything, thus the OS didnt have write privs to set it back.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Only the Administrator's NumLock state is saved in NT4 for some reason. The reg hack had work for me in the past, but I haven't touched NT since 2000 went gold.

-SUO