How do you do good in FPS games?

HFS+

Dec 19, 2011
I always suck at FPS games online. How do you get good? my K/D is .584 in Call of duty mw3 and .483 in BF3

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Studying the maps is an absolute must. That and "camping". Just know when to go in guns ablazin and not

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Play on a console so its easy mode. :p

The number 1 thing is to make sure you have mouse sensitivity set correctly for you. It varies from person to person. I can't believe some people just don't adjust that in a fps, its like set for playing playing pong.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Setting your mouse correctly and building muscle memory are both important parts of getting good at an FPS.

To build muscle memory you have to play a lot. Eventually you can get a sensitivity that you can pretty much match in any game and from then on your aim is basically dead on no matter what game you play.

I don't care to know how many 1000's of hours I've spent playing FPS games to become the god that I am now.

sour07

Feb 3, 2011
Like someone else has mentioned, getting to know the map is very important for me to do good in any FPS.

oh yea and good aim!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I've been called a hacker in every MW3 game I played today. I just use the Mk 14 (suppressor and plain red dot) and the SMAW. I start every life running around with the SMAW, trying to kill people at any range with it. It's difficult, but rewarding, and someday I'll get the gold SMAW and it'll all be worthwhile.

Then I just use the Mk 14 and go nuts. I never sit still for more than 10 seconds, just keep moving, watch where enemies go and try to shoot through things to hit them. I imagine my uncanny ability to do this is what gets me accused of being a hacker. The real trick is to be faster than the other guy. This is especially important in close quarters, practice knifing, it should be second nature. Overtime, you'll build muscle memory and you'll become much faster than everyone else.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I've been called a hacker in every MW3 game I played today. I just use the Mk 14 (suppressor and plain red dot) and the SMAW. I start every life running around with the SMAW, trying to kill people at any range with it. It's difficult, but rewarding, and someday I'll get the gold SMAW and it'll all be worthwhile.

Then I just use the Mk 14 and go nuts. I never sit still for more than 10 seconds, just keep moving, watch where enemies go and try to shoot through things to hit them. I imagine my uncanny ability to do this is what gets me accused of being a hacker. The real trick is to be faster than the other guy. This is especially important in close quarters, practice knifing, it should be second nature. Overtime, you'll build muscle memory and you'll become much faster than everyone else.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
What's always worked for me is these 2 simple rules:

1. Don't die
2. Kill others

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Last night around 8, a friend and I were switching off playing, and we were absolutely blitzed. We still got accused of hacking. We told them we were drunk, and they were just awful, but some people just won't listen. :p

BTW, the last FPS I played online was the first Modern Warfare, so I'm pretty happy with how well I've gotten back into this one. :biggrin:

TheTrueScythe

Jan 2, 2012
I noticed no one put reload when ever you can. Dont just let it reload by it's self. When you make a kill duck and reload, the last thing you want is to be shooting and all of a sudden you have tou reload your gun out in the open. When you cant help but to reload though I will jump and try not to get shot.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Setting your mouse correctly and building muscle memory are both important parts of getting good at an FPS.
Does BF3 even have 1:1 mouse sensitivity yet? I played for probably less than thirty seconds and had to stop because of negative acceleration.

Venom20

Apr 12, 2011
First of all, stop measuring your performance with your KDR.

seriously ^this.

It's been said, just need to "know" the maps and not camp. I recommend playing with a burst fire/single shot gun to improve your accuracy.

It forces you to accurately hit your first shots. After that, your muscles will apply your aim to fully autos.

Also, when using full autos, burst fire at longer range to improve accuracy.

Learn when to run and when to not run. For instance, try not to run around corners, because your gun will not be ready but theirs will be.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Just because you don't have a high KDR doesn't mean you can't have fun or be invaluable to the match. The main reason I like BF3 is the "Team" aspect. Being mostly color blind, I accept the fact that I will never be at the top of the leader boards, but I bet I will do more for the team than most players.

I'm sure you already have, but customize your binds.
I have a useless pinky finger, so I set sprint to my mouse button 4 and melee to mouse button 5. I also change spot to "F" in BF3.

eBauer

Mar 8, 2002
Use a CRT monitor ;)

In all seriousness, the single most important factor is knowing the map layout and using it to your advantage. Regardless of skill, if you get the drop on someone before they see you, typically you will win the fight.

If you are just starting out in BF3, I would expect a .5-.8 KD ratio since the majority of players have been in the game for 2 months and are past rank 45. I started at .7:1 and now am at 1.44:1.

Other than that, some people simply have better relexes/aiming ability. Plus, if you aren't getting a solid frame rate you aren't helping yourself out. I run the game at medium settings so I get a constant 80-120FPS in multiplayer.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
seriously ^this.

It's been said, just need to "know" the maps and not camp. I recommend playing with a burst fire/single shot gun to improve your accuracy.

It forces you to accurately hit your first shots. After that, your muscles will apply your aim to fully autos.

Also, when using full autos, burst fire at longer range to improve accuracy.

Learn when to run and when to not run. For instance, try not to run around corners, because your gun will not be ready but theirs will be.

Since I exclusively use the Mk14, when I run out of ammo and pick up someone's full auto, lulz ensue, and I am immediately called a hacker. If you can hold your own with a single shot (or burst fire like the FAMAS) then you can dominate with a full auto.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Play, Play, Play.
don't start out worrying about killing people or capturing bases. just play to have fun. watch and learn. Try out new things. If your method doesnt work, try a different approach. explore the maps, pay attention to common play patterns.

practice makes perfect. You don't have to be an aiming god, but if you practice headshots enough, you get quicker at it.