How do you delete a reply that you don't want to make anymore?

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I started a reply that I decided I don't want to make. I deleted it but when I go to a new thread the reply is there again at the bottom.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
click on the floppy and hit 'delete draft'

but it doesn't matter, anything you type in those boxes gets saved somewhere out there

Reactions: Bird222

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I don't think I've seen this before. As I test I typed something in the reply box below for this thread, then clicked the "Off Topic" link at the bottom of the page to get back to the main screen (or use Back in the browser) and clicked a different thread. Reply box is blank. Maybe some extension/add-on for your browser is doing it? I dunno.

but it doesn't matter, anything you type in those boxes gets saved somewhere out there
Maybe you're just jokin, but no.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think I've seen this before. As I test I typed something in the reply box below for this thread, then clicked the "Off Topic" link at the bottom of the page to get back to the main screen (or use Back in the browser) and clicked a different thread. Reply box is blank. Maybe some extension/add-on for your browser is doing it? I dunno.

It does it. Maybe you didn't wait long enough? Or you're running some kind of script blocker?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
This has annoyed me ever since we switched to these new forums. Usually I try to come up with something to say even if I have abandoned my first reply. It is so annoying to come back to a thread with some old text from a week ago (or longer) pre-typed.

But, at least for me, it is only saved in the same thread. Going to a new thread does not retain the old unwanted reply.

Reactions: allisolm

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This has annoyed me ever since we switched to these new forums. Usually I try to come up with something to say even if I have abandoned my first reply. It is so annoying to come back to a thread with some old text from a week ago (or longer) pre-typed.

But, at least for me, it is only saved in the same thread. Going to a new thread does not retain the old unwanted reply.

It saved a big reply I had typed out once. I don't remember the details, but my browser crashed or something and I had a mini-crisis about it, but lo and behold the reply still existed when I got back to the thread.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I did a bit of testing. It seems to autosave about once per minute. So, if you have started to write something and you reached the autosave point, then whenever you come back you will have your autosaved reply. That is a great feature if implemented well, see Sandorski's comment above.

The problem is that when you delete the reply, you are usually done with the thread. To actually save the delete, you have to delete your text, wait about a minute, then leave the thread. That way it autosaves with a blank reply. But who really wants to wait a minute twiddling your thumbs after aborting a reply? Thus the old autosaved ghost text stays around forever until you make another reply.

Reactions: Bird222

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

oh, that's good to know. OP's problem has been bugging me since this update. I think you have something like ~20seconds before your reply is cached into the reply box for that thread, forever and ever unless you post (except for this edit that you mention). Surprised a lot of people didn't notice this before.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

It saves the response within the same thread. If you go to a different thread, the reply box will be blank.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I did a bit of testing. It seems to autosave about once per minute. So, if you have started to write something and you reached the autosave point, then whenever you come back you will have your autosaved reply. That is a great feature if implemented well, see Sandorski's comment above.

The problem is that when you delete the reply, you are usually done with the thread. To actually save the delete, you have to delete your text, wait about a minute, then leave the thread. That way it autosaves with a blank reply. But who really wants to wait a minute twiddling your thumbs after aborting a reply? Thus the old autosaved ghost text stays around forever until you make another reply.

Good to know.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I usually just clear it, hit space a few times (the system might be smart enough to ignore a blank text box) and then it usually never comes back. I always kinda assumed there was maybe a time factor too so I'll just leave the page open and open a new tab and keep neffing in that one.

Personally I'm not a fan of javascript based text boxes because whatever you type gets sent over the wire as you type it. FB and such will actually save what you typed/erased before you even submit it.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Backspace or otherwise clear the text you have typed. Then hit the floppy icon and delete draft. Exit thread. Done.

I do it all the time when I have what alcoholics like to call a "moment of clarity" and I realize how stupid what I was about to post actually is.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It saves the response within the same thread. If you go to a different thread, the reply box will be blank.
Huh, naw it don't work for me. I typed something, waited up to 10 seconds, hit Back, then reentered thread... nothing. It's probably some script blocking on my end. I have uBlock Origin, which I shut off for this test, so it's probably something else. I only have a few add-ons and none of them are script blocking but who knows. I have Firefox v57.0.4.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
OP..you're making this way too difficult. Just end every reply with "and FU if you can't take a joke. " Then you can pretend it was all fun and games.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I just want to say that Brian and Zin are doll babies.What's this thread about?

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Huh, naw it don't work for me. I typed something, waited up to 10 seconds, hit Back, then reentered thread... nothing. It's probably some script blocking on my end. I have uBlock Origin, which I shut off for this test, so it's probably something else. I only have a few add-ons and none of them are script blocking but who knows. I have Firefox v57.0.4.
I don't think auto-save happens every 10 seconds. It's more like every minute or two.