How do you correctly use the term "blasphemy?"

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
I'm confused. I know that dictionary.com has the definition, but i've heard others use it in a strange way. Something along the lines of:

Person 1 does something
Person 2 disagrees with what Person 1 does (for whatever reason, morals, etc.)
Person 2 screams out "BLASPHEMY!!" because of what Person 1 does.

Any examples guys?

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
say it in response to something totally taboo/defiling/unacceptable

traditional example:

Jesus: Yo
Pharisees: So I hear that you claim to be the son of God
Jesus: Yes
Pharisees: Blasphemy! :|

contemporary:

Me: I saw this chick that looks just like JLove
Him: And you didn't ask her out?
Me: er.. no
Him: Blasphemy!!

wQuay

Nov 19, 2000
When someone applies one of God's names, titles, or attributes to something other than God.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace

[mrburns]perrrffecctttt[/mrburns] Thanks! This'll be one fun word.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
Other's are using it incorrectly then. Blasphemy refers to a disrespect of the divine, or more loosely, your good old fashioned sacrilege.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That is correct usage. People say Blasphemy to imply that a statement someone makes is against something they strongly believe in or adhere to. People strongly believe and adhere to religon and that is how the word came to be used in everyday conversation.

Make sense?

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Okay, now i'm confused. Is it one of these, or both?

Originally posted by: wQuay
When someone applies one of God's names, titles, or attributes to something other than God.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BlipBlop
Other's are using it incorrectly then. Blasphemy refers to a disrespect of the divine, or more loosely, your good old fashioned sacrilege.

No, the word has simply made a transition out of the church and into everyday society. Webster's will update the word soon to reflect the trend.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: erikiksaz
Okay, now i'm confused. Is it one of these, or both?

Originally posted by: wQuay

They both go together, back in the days when society was church-centric. If you misuse God's holy divine name, that was considered absolute tabo/defiling/unacceptable

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001

the reason someone would say it in a situation like this:
is because the average person would consider not asking out jlove sacrilegious (or just plain unholy)

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker

the reason someone would say it in a situation like this:
is because the average person would consider not asking out jlove sacrilegious (or just plain unholy)

Which is when you look at MY post ;)

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The idea of blasphemy began not only with the monotheistic religions of the Fertile Crescent and the Hebrew peoples, but as a cross-cultural development in the history of religions. When deityhood was emphasized, and as religions developed, people saw the inadequacies of language in pointing to, in explaining the divine. It was thought to be ineffable, and purely a mystic, experiential factor. In Zen, for example, the idea is that the cup must be emptied before it is filled. In contemporary thought of someone like Krishnamurti, the idea again is that thoughts and words do not begin to explain the ineffability and grandeur of God when experiencing God.

To us, however, in our Western worldviews, blasphemy was carried throughout the times in a legalistic sense of a single omnipotent deity. It was a law, "do not say my name in vain", because the holy name (YHWH) was thought to not only be holy because it spoke of God, but thought to have significance in itself, as a vital connection between the divine and the everyday.

Now? Since words adapt, change in meaning, grow in use, and because culture is an everchanging phenomenon that uses language to communicate, blasphemy has acquired the meanings people have mentioned here. It is a disrespect, or a wrong done were norms clearly dictate action to the contrary. In acting in a contrarian manner, the person has done a wrong so odious and onerous, that it is akin to desecrating an Absolute, an Ultimate, God Himself, by the offending deed.

So I guess my answer is "yes, it depends."

And to an Orthodox Jew, my post is likely blasphemous.

Cheers ! :)