Question How do you cool your 13900K?

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As you can see from my signature I'm using air. Running the Handbrake benchmark found in the CPU forum I can run it to 175W as set in the BIOS without throttling. For Cinebench R23 MT I can run it to 200W without throttling. Handbrake>Cinebench load-wise. Go figure. Anyway Handbrake loading is very settings dependent and the profile used in the benchmark is compute intensive obviously.

I was wondering what power limits before throttling others here with this CPU are getting with other cooling devices?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'm using an se226-xt in my 12700k and it keeps things at room temp on idle and up to 50c under load. I don't bench it since it's acting as the router and uptime is 24/7. It's also running other functions but, temps have been stable for about a year now.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm using an se226-xt in my 12700k and it keeps things at room temp on idle and up to 50c under load. I don't bench it since it's acting as the router and uptime is 24/7. It's also running other functions but, temps have been stable for about a year now.

I had a 12700K in this rig before I popped in the 13900K a few weeks ago. The 12700K was no problem to keep cool on air as you wrote. The 13900K seems to be a completely different animal. If you want to just run it "sanely" at 175 or so watts and get most of the performance out of it then air cooling is fine. But if for "bursty" workloads you want to let it ramp up to 200+ watts then it seems like WC might be necessary.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, it's a possibility but, it's not much different from an architecture standpoint from the ADL version other than the extra E cores. My next potential upgrade will be ARL switching more than just a stop gap size leap in tech like 10/11th gen were.

LC was all the rage when ADL was pre-launch with everyone saying it was almost mandatory and then I slapped a $50 cooler on it and it's perfectly fine. It depends on how much $$$$ you want to throw at things though I suppose. There's been plenty of mention of under volting things and tweaking things to bend it to their will though that seem to mitigate some of the cooling issues.

If heat were an issue I would probably skip the LC and just delid it for direct die contact instead. There was mention of the new AMD chips running hot and delidding dropped it by 20C w/o anything else out of the ordinary. Also makes a difference if you're not cramming it into a mini-ITX w/o air volume to actively and passively cool the guts of the system.

The other issue that comes with systems is dealing with the GPU heat. I think a lot of people forget that that's like putting in a space heater in addition to the CPU. If you don't have enough pressure from the case fans to force the air out it just turns into a heat soak. If you have the patience then doing Lc on both would be ideal since you're attaching both furnaces instead of just the CPU.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
As you can see from my signature I'm using air. Running the Handbrake benchmark found in the CPU forum I can run it to 175W as set in the BIOS without throttling. For Cinebench R23 MT I can run it to 200W without throttling. Handbrake>Cinebench load-wise. Go figure. Anyway Handbrake loading is very settings dependent and the profile used in the benchmark is compute intensive obviously.

I was wondering what power limits before throttling others here with this CPU are getting with other cooling devices?
What do you consider throttling? Just dropping below maximum boost?
Because maximum boost is not the normal state, it is the maximum.

Also Z boards have terrible default settings, what have you changed in bios and what is still set by the manufacturer? If you only changed TDP/PL then also look into vcore MCE and the likes.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What do you consider throttling? Just dropping below maximum boost?
Because maximum boost is not the normal state, it is the maximum.

Also Z boards have terrible default settings, what have you changed in bios and what is still set by the manufacturer? If you only changed TDP/PL then also look into vcore MCE and the likes.

Everything on auto as you guessed! I was defining throttling as indicated by HWinfo.