How do you cook your steak?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Fuck overpriced Japanese Wagyu. If you enjoy buying and eating that overpriced and over hyped glob of fat, more power to you. But I know what I like and what I'm willing to pay. I grill steaks multiple times a week, and I'm happy with eating USDA Choice or Prime top sirloin cap steak medium rare. That's my go to cut of beef.

Fuck overpriced USDA Choice or Prime top sirloin cap steak. If you enjoy buying and eating that overpriced and over hyped glob of fat, more power to you. But I know what I like and what I'm willing to pay. I grill burgers multiple times a week, and I'm happy with eating previously frozen beef patties cooked in a microwave. Thats my go to cut of beef.

Reactions: Muse

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
My go to is a ribeye followed by skirt , flank and flat iron. All cooked in a cast iron pan either on the grill or stove top. I pull the meat to rest when the internal temp is 110 to 115F. While cooking I flip it with a set of tongs every minute.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fuck overpriced USDA Choice or Prime top sirloin cap steak. If you enjoy buying and eating that overpriced and over hyped glob of fat, more power to you. But I know what I like and what I'm willing to pay. I grill burgers multiple times a week, and I'm happy with eating previously frozen beef patties cooked in a microwave. Thats my go to cut of beef.
OK, my uncle was a butcher at Safeway for decades. He told me one day to never buy ground beef, he said I'd be appalled to see what they put in that. He said to buy stewing beef and approach the butcher and request to have that ground on the spot for me. I've always followed that advice. Nowadays, if I want ground beef, I grind it myself. I have a special attachment for my Osterizer blender that converts pieces of meat into "ground" meat. I do it for pork more than beef these days because I stopped eating hamburgers. But if I wanted ground beef, I'd do that. I buy the leanest hunk of beef I can find at the meat counter at either Costco or Safeway these days. Lately, they're running around $5.99/lb. MUCH leaner than that overpriced fancy-pants stuff they sell you as "gourmet" steak, and far cheaper to boot! Same goes for the pork roasts I buy at Costco. They are pretty dang lean. I always cut off any fat I reasonably can to boot. I make my own pork sausage... it's killer! And so much leaner than the premade sausages they sell everywhere.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK, my uncle was a butcher at Safeway for decades. He told me one day to never buy ground beef, he said I'd be appalled to see what they put in that. He said to buy stewing beef and approach the butcher and request to have that ground on the spot for me. I've always followed that advice. Nowadays, if I want ground beef, I grind it myself. I have a special attachment for my Osterizer blender that converts pieces of meat into "ground" meat. I do it for pork more than beef these days because I stopped eating hamburgers. But if I wanted ground beef, I'd do that. I buy the leanest hunk of beef I can find at the meat counter at either Costco or Safeway these days. Lately, they're running around $5.99/lb. MUCH leaner than that overpriced fancy-pants stuff they well you as gourmet steak, and far cheaper to boot! Same goes for the pork roasts I buy at Costco. They are pretty dang lean. I always cut off any fat I reasonably can to boot. I make my own pork sausage... it's killer!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
OK, my uncle was a butcher at Safeway for decades. He told me one day to never buy ground beef, he said I'd be appalled to see what they put in that. He said to buy stewing beef and approach the butcher and request to have that ground on the spot for me. I've always followed that advice. Nowadays, if I want ground beef, I grind it myself. I have a special attachment for my Osterizer blender that converts pieces of meat into "ground" meat. I do it for pork more than beef these days because I stopped eating hamburgers. But if I wanted ground beef, I'd do that. I buy the leanest hunk of beef I can find at the meat counter at either Costco or Safeway these days. Lately, they're running around $5.99/lb. MUCH leaner than that overpriced fancy-pants stuff they sell you as "gourmet" steak, and far cheaper to boot! Same goes for the pork roasts I buy at Costco. They are pretty dang lean. I always cut off any fat I reasonably can to boot. I make my own pork sausage... it's killer! And so much leaner than the premade sausages they sell everywhere.
Steak isn't supposed to be lean, the marbling is where the flavor is.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Eh, I don't worry about that. I don't eat steak, anyway. I want my meat lean. It's about the health.
I can see why you scoff at "gourmet" steak then, since the entire reason it exists is to taste good, and it appears you are eating as a survival mechanism rather than for enjoyment.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can see why you scoff at "gourmet" steak then, since the entire reason it exists is to taste good, and it appears you are eating as a survival mechanism rather than for enjoyment.
Well, health comes first, but I do enjoy my food! I do eat stuff that's not good for me too, I just try to not do it too much, if you get what I mean. I have my rules, my discipline. Only so much of whatever a day if it's not very good for me... i.e. chips, chocolate, carb heavy stuff. I don't eat a lot of meat. Some... not a lot.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, health comes first, but I do enjoy my food! I do eat stuff that's not good for me too, I just try to not do it too much, if you get what I mean. I have my rules, my discipline. Only so much of whatever a day if it's not very good for me... i.e. chips, chocolate, carb heavy stuff. I don't eat a lot of meat. Some... not a lot. I'm also big on exercise!