How do you cook restaurant-quality rice?

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Rice in restaurants is one of my favorite foods. Rice at home is garbage. We tried boiling it, steaming it, etc. But it doesn't even come close to restaurant-quality rice. So how do they do it? I refuse to believe that not a single person here has ever worked in a restaurant! :D

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Buy a rice cooker (that is how most restaurants cook their rice). Then you'll just have to mix water and rice, and it self cooks to perfection :)

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Alright, well thats easy! Which one should i buy and how much should i spend?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker > *

You can get *acceptable* rice from any >$50 enclosed (read: NON glass top) rice cooker by Panasonic/National or Tiger, but if you want BOMB DIGGITY AZZ rice, that you can keep warm for 2 days without turning to paste, get a Zojirushi. Costs about $150 but worth every damn penny.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Dude, to be honest rice from resataurants suck. Just get a decent Japanese branded rice cooker and you'll be amazed.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Krassus
Alright, well thats easy! Which one should i buy and how much should i spend?

100 bucks on a really nice one, around 30 for a basic one. Zojirushi is best :)

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Restaurant rice is quality rice?? :Q I hope you're not talking about asian restaurants 'cause they're not all what you think ;)

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Dude, to be honest rice from resataurants suck. Just get a decent Japanese branded rice cooker and you'll be amazed.
You should see the "rice" i had for supper yesterday. In comparison, wet cardboard seems delicious.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
You should see the "rice" i had for supper yesterday. In comparison, wet cardboard seems delicious.

it's not our fault you have no clue how to cook rice.

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: isekii
Originally posted by: Nocturnal Dude, to be honest rice from resataurants suck. Just get a decent Japanese branded rice cooker and you'll be amazed.
it's not our fault you have no clue how to cook rice.
Hahah! Cook rice? Who me? Dude, i'm still learning how to boil water!! :D

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker > * You can get *acceptable* rice from any >$50 enclosed (read: NON glass top) rice cooker by Panasonic/National or Tiger, but if you want BOMB DIGGITY AZZ rice, that you can keep warm for 2 days without turning to paste, get a Zojirushi. Costs about $150 but worth every damn penny.
Whats the problem with glass tops?

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
glass tops usually don't close all the way, merely just rest on top. plastic top ones usually seal closed.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker > * You can get *acceptable* rice from any >$50 enclosed (read: NON glass top) rice cooker by Panasonic/National or Tiger, but if you want BOMB DIGGITY AZZ rice, that you can keep warm for 2 days without turning to paste, get a Zojirushi. Costs about $150 but worth every damn penny.
Whats the problem with glass tops?

the biggest problem i had with it - it was the biggest PITA to clean.

littleprince

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2001
Asian restaurants rarely have "great" rice...

Don't expect a japanese rice cooker to make your uncle bens taste gd either...
Gotta go out and get a gd bag of ric.e

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
it depends on which restaurant, some have sticky, some don't.

and yea home rice p0wns

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: littleprince
Asian restaurants rarely have "great" rice...

Don't expect a japanese rice cooker to make your uncle bens taste gd either...
Gotta go out and get a gd bag of ric.e

Yea domestic rice is garbage.

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Alright, so what kind of rice should i buy? I prefer non-sticky. Any other attributes i should look for?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Just get a $20 rice cooker from Walmart. It makes Uncle Ben kick even more ass than he did before. I'd take it over the rice the Chinese Restaurants have around here.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
theres a variety of grains to choose from. some long thin dryish, others fat stubby and sorta fluffy/sticky. theres a bunch, and they DO taste different:)

you have to choose the same one as the restaurant, i can't think of the name right now:)

that and get a decent rice cooker.