how do you cook hotdogs without a grill?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Boil them in Beer until the beer becomes thick and coats the outside of the dog.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Hotdogs? Deep fry them, wrap them in bacon, drop them in a bun, cover with spicy mayo and caramelized onions. Serve.

Sausages? Poke tiny holes in them and boil 10-15 minutes. Drain pot, butterfly sausages, sear them in olive oil. Top with roasted red peppers and onions. Serve.

Alternatively, after boiling drain pain. Slice sausages into 1-inch discs. Roll in Parmesan cheese, pan sear in olive oil. While searing sausage, prepare a simple zabaglione. Arrange sausage on plate, zabaglione in center. Serve.

flvinny521

Jul 29, 2011
I once had a girlfriend who would wrap hotdogs in a paper towel, stick it under the faucet so the paper towel was soaked, and then microwave them. I had never seen this method before, nor have I seen it since.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I once had a girlfriend who would wrap hotdogs in a paper towel, stick it under the faucet so the paper towel was soaked, and then microwave them. I had never seen this method before, nor have I seen it since.

It's very common actually.

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
When we 'can't/don't want to' grill outside we just use our George Foreman grill...works great.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Or in a pinch - put dogs in buns, wrap in paper towel, microwave for 30 minutes...err, I mean one minute.
To me this is a close second to grilling them and it's actually my most common method of cooking them as I am often quite lazy to fire up the grill if I just want 1 or 2 dogs really quick.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
To me this is a close second to grilling them and it's actually my most common method of cooking them as I am often quite lazy to fire up the grill if I just want 1 or 2 dogs really quick.
really?

I'll go through great lengths to avoid microwaving bread in just about any circumstance.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
really?

I'll go through great lengths to avoid microwaving bread in just about any circumstance.

You're just steaming it, it works really well actually provided you don't go too long. Tastes like a steamed hot dog bun.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
really?

Yeah I know it may seem weird but really I love cooking them that way. Now, if you were just going to microwave the hotdog on it's own, that isn't all that good. In fact I do not like it that way at all. But stick it in the bun and wrap it up in a paper towel and to me it's delicious!

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Funny thread, a hot dog is probably the only food that doesn't matter how you cook it, or even if you cook it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I've got like a tiny bit of olive oil let in my jar and I'm trying to use it up before it goes bad... otherwise I'd probably just use butter.

I like the taste of olive oil too, though.

Oil never goes bad. ever. even rancid overused oil never goes bad. oil never ever ever will ever have bacteria. It truly is the gift from the god/s.