How do you contact Microsoft to order a replacement XP disc?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I misplaced my original XP installation disc; I only have my XP upgrade disc. I need the original XP disc for a project. I remember reading somewhere on the forums that you could call Microsoft and request a replacement CD for like $13 or something. Anyone know the scoop on this?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: sonoma1993
is it a retail or oem cd? if it oem, i believe they wont replace it if it oem.

retail, I still have the serial number and box.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Anyone know if an XP upgrade license will work if I use a full (non-upgrade) XP installation CD?
I dont believe so. However I think you can use your upgrade CD to create a slipstreamed version with SP2 so it will save you the time having to install the service pack.

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kaido

They wanted like $30 for a new CD. Ack!

Anyone know if an XP upgrade license will work if I use a full (non-upgrade) XP installation CD? I have two upgrade licenses and one full license, but the full disc contains SP2 already installed on it. Much nicer for reinstallations.

I recently got the screwage from MS for a replacement disk for Win2K... $30+ after shipping... makes me want to put the eye patch on and go 'Arrrrrr....!!!!'

:D

BigPete

May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Buck_Naked
Originally posted by: Kaido

They wanted like $30 for a new CD. Ack!

Anyone know if an XP upgrade license will work if I use a full (non-upgrade) XP installation CD? I have two upgrade licenses and one full license, but the full disc contains SP2 already installed on it. Much nicer for reinstallations.

I recently got the screwage from MS for a replacement disk for Win2K... $30+ after shipping... makes me want to put the eye patch on and go 'Arrrrrr....!!!!'

:D

If you simply lost your CD, why would you feel bad about downloading a copy and using your key with it? I think we can all agree that $30 for a replacement CD is a little "excessive".

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
If you simply lost your CD, why would you feel bad about downloading a copy and using your key with it? I think we can all agree that $30 for a replacement CD is a little "excessive".
I wouldnt want to download it from an unknown source. On the other hand if you know someone who has the same media making a copy of it from them should be fine.