How do you burn 8x media at 16x?

Yanagi

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2004
I cant burn my memorex media at 16x or even 12x on my NEC 3500A. The option isnt there. What am I doing wrong? I have nero 6..

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
You don't. Which is exactly why the 16x media is more expensive.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Yanagi
I cant burn my memorex media at 16x or even 12x on my NEC 3500A. The option isnt there. What am I doing wrong? I have nero 6..
This difference is in the media. You'll need the "good stuff" to burn at 12X-16X. I've burned at 12X with my 3500a with the DVD-R 8X media, so I'm pretty sure you can do 16X with the 8X +R media on your burner. And at $48 for a spindle of 100, I'd say that's pretty cheap for the best media out there. ;)

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
There's a software that will allow you to change your DVD writer firmware, to allow faster/slower writing speed.
I don't understand why you would want to do it though... I actually use it to LOWER my writing speed, to increase the write quality.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: bigpow
There's a software that will allow you to change your DVD writer firmware, to allow faster/slower writing speed.
I don't understand why you would want to do it though... I actually use it to LOWER my writing speed, to increase the write quality.

Ditto here. Although I have an 8x burner I usually burn at 1x or 2x. I've noticed that you get less compatability issues when burned at slower speeds. Although I havent had any problems, many of my users do. Guess they just are using crappy dvd players or drives.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Oyeve

Ditto here. Although I have an 8x burner I usually burn at 1x or 2x. I've noticed that you get less compatability issues when burned at slower speeds. Although I havent had any problems, many of my users do. Guess they just are using crappy dvd players or drives.

I'll burn @ 4x/8x(even tho the 1620 will burn @16x) because of that ;)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Oyeve

My early-generation set-top player can't read any disc, DVD-R/RW, if it's burned past 1x. Sad thing is, those cheapo things at Target and Walmart are more capable. Someday it might get replaced.

For your discs, get DVD Identifier. It'll read the rated speed of the media. You can at least see the real manufacturer of the discs, and determine from there if it is safe to burn past the rated speed.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
If you have a quality burner and use quality media, you won't have that problem. I'm sure I can burn at 16X and have the same error rate that you do when burning at 2X.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: JackBurton
If you have a quality burner and use quality media, you won't have that problem. I'm sure I can burn at 16X and have the same error rate that you do when burning at 2X.

Not neccesaryly true. I burn DVDs for myself at the highest speed possible and nver have a problem on any of my player. My main DVD player is a Pioneer DVL-909 (1998?) and this player take everything I throw at it even though its an older machine, but it is of very high quality (cost me 1200 bucks!) but the same disc wont play on mine or my son's PS2 properly. If I burn the same material on the same media at a slower burn rate they play fine on the PS2's. I only use quality media. My Sony burner works great on any media, crappy or quality but my Lite-On External 8x burner refuses to burn on any Memorex media. So speed and media are big factors depending on what you want to play it back on.

Yanagi

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2004
So All I need to do to bypass the media settings is to upgrade the firmware to a hacked one?

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
I just bought some Maxell 8x DVD-R from Walmart. I'm burning it at 16x right now and I'm going to see how it works out. Since it's a crappy brand, I'm not expecting much.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I used to have a TDK drive, It would alow me to Burn 10x TDK brand CD-RW at 12x or higher some times; but only TDK brand, sony, Imation, Verbatim, etc would only burn at their advertised speed.

Now I have a Plextor Premeium, burning and Reburning CD-RW at 32x freaking ROCKS!

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Googer
I used to have a TDK drive, It would alow me to Burn 10x TDK brand CD-RW at 12x or higher some times; but only TDK brand, sony, Imation, Verbatim, etc would only burn at their advertised speed.

Now I have a Plextor Premeium, burning and Reburning CD-RW at 32x freaking ROCKS!
True but a USB 2.0 with removable HD is 1,000,000 times better :)
Choose your capacity:
120gb
160gb
200gb
250gb
300gb
400gb
You are not limited to 700mb this way, just plug this sucker in any pc with usb ports and away you go!!! I love it!!!

Yanagi

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2004
Wow. Cool to see one of my threads revived. ANyways. I fixed my "problem" by loading a hacked firmware. I can now burn most 4x media @ 8x speed. I havent bought any 8X media yet to try 16X speed since my 120GB harddrives are gonna be the bottleneck here (i need to defrag lol)