How do you back up blu-Ray movies & have it end up being ~2gb @1080p??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it comical that the question was how to rip the movie at the resolution that I'm happy with and want. People spent more time, effort, and energy in their responses trying to convince me why I should NOT try to do something that I'm perfectly happy with.

Glad you found it comical. I found it hilarious that you're doing this in the first place. And if you think we wasted OUR time and energy, call me when you've finished ripping all your high definition movies into compressed shit. :)

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Why all the hate? If the OP is happy, and needs to keep file size down for various reasons, make your suggestions and move on. Personal assaults like the one above are the equivalent of an "audiophile" saying if your digital music isn't 192/48 uncompressed, it's not worth listening to.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Why all the hate? If the OP is happy, and needs to keep file size down for various reasons, make your suggestions and move on. Personal assaults like the one above are the equivalent of an "audiophile" saying if your digital music isn't 192/48 uncompressed, it's not worth listening to.

Not really. Poofyhairguy was right on with his analogy. Why bother with buying the steak in the first place if you just wanted a hamburger. Why waste the time and effort when you can just buy the DVD in first place. I'm no audiophile, but if I want a 256Kbps .mp3 file then I'll just download it from Amazon that way. I won't buy the CD, rip it to an uncompressed FLAC and then convert down.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Another possible answer:
Because no matter how convinced the OP is that these specifications are all that he needs TODAY, we all know that tomorrow (after he gets his Lasik surgery done and upgrades his 19-inch monitor) he's going to regret it bitterly...

Friends don't let friends use YIFY encodes! :p

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
All of you have convinced me my wrong of ways and 1080p is subpar. I can't believe how much of a piece of crap quality it is to rip it at 1080p at the settings that yify uses.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
All of you have convinced me my wrong of ways and 1080p is subpar. I can't believe how much of a piece of crap quality it is to rip it at 1080p at the settings that yify uses.

Awesome, glad you have seen the light! No point in trying to park a car in a mailbox.

If you want some tips of how to encode a 720p file at lower file sizes be sure to ask.

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009

Don't let us be the ones to convince you, just do a side by side rip to 1080 and 720 at a 2gig file size and see for yourself. You can even make it scientific like by having someone rename the files so you don't know which one is which.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Another possible answer:
Because no matter how convinced the OP is that these specifications are all that he needs TODAY, we all know that tomorrow (after he gets his Lasik surgery done and upgrades his 19-inch monitor) he's going to regret it bitterly...

Friends don't let friends use YIFY encodes! :p

Couldn't agree more, but even beyond that, part of the goal in coming to a place where knowledge exists in a field that you don't currently possess should be to learn something, even if that something doesn't agree with your initial batch of limited information. It's like the conversations I used to have with my roommate where he claimed on one hand that music was the most important thing in his life and then on the other hand had terrible quality speakers hooked up to some PA system thing. It was absolute cobbled together garbage and sounded like it. The constant argument he put up was that "he was fine with what he had" until he finally decided to stop being stubborn and give my suggestions a try and it literally changed his whole world as it relates to music. He now understands that sometimes people make recommendations not because they don't believe the other person that what they have is "fine", but that often you can do so much better with minimal or sometimes even less effort.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Well ignorance is bliss, they looks great to me and I would like to rip my movies at that quality and ah the same time not have ridiculously large video files. 2gb and looking great like that is perfect imo

Ignorance is bliss. But the thing is, you HAVE the bluray movie that you have watched.

2GB encodes are not the same as a 10GB+ encode. But if you want a 2GB encode just realize that you'll lose SO MUCH quality. You're better off just purchasing a larger hard drive. We're at around 4.5 cents a gigabyte for hard drive space. You mean to tell me that good quality isn't worth an extra 30 cents to you per movie?

Couldn't agree more, but even beyond that, part of the goal in coming to a place where knowledge exists in a field that you don't currently possess should be to learn something, even if that something doesn't agree with your initial batch of limited information. It's like the conversations I used to have with my roommate where he claimed on one hand that music was the most important thing in his life and then on the other hand had terrible quality speakers hooked up to some PA system thing. It was absolute cobbled together garbage and sounded like it. The constant argument he put up was that "he was fine with what he had" until he finally decided to stop being stubborn and give my suggestions a try and it literally changed his whole world as it relates to music. He now understands that sometimes people make recommendations not because they don't believe the other person that what they have is "fine", but that often you can do so much better with minimal or sometimes even less effort.

This is how I ended up switching away from YIFY encodes. It was so good, until I decided to listen to advice and try better encodes. Any remotely decent rated movie that was a YIFY encode has been switched now.

I'm so happy I've made the switch and just like how an annoying person online told me "YIFY encodes suck" and I didn't want to believe them. I'm going to be that same person since they helped me.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The secret is 2 pass encoding but the target should still be 3.99GB (FAT32 size limit) or 4.3GB (DVD-R for sharing or using offline).

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
The secret is 2 pass encoding but the target should still be 3.99GB (FAT32 size limit) or 4.3GB (DVD-R for sharing or using offline).

A lot of movies I rip at 720p hover around 4 GB naturally without even worrying about 2-pass. I use 19 as my HD quality in handbrake, and I haven't had issues with it in various films (animation, grainy, action, drama, etc.). Granted, more "difficult" movies will jump up to 6-7 GB.

Or in other words, I agree. 2 GB, especially for 1080p, is downright idiotic.

Last edited: