how do u suppose to take the old heat sink out and replace it with an new one? wut do u use to glue it the heat sink on?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Usually there is a clamp of some sort that will attach to the motherboard or slocket, they can be a b!tch to get on at times, so make sure you follow the directions for that particular new heatsink. Also make sure you get it firmly on the cpu, otherwise it won't displace the heat.

office boy

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yes if it's a CPU you would use thermal paste between the two surfaces....
But it's not glue! And it does not hold the heatsink on...

Killer Ape

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
Generally speaking, after removing the old HS you should clean the CPU slug off with alcohol, Bestine, something like that. Then apply a VERY thin coating of thermal grease to the CPU slug. Depending on the HS/Fan combo you then either carefully clamp or twist it down until it locks in place. Note that on FCPGA procs the slug is off-center, so make sure the HS is positioned correctly before you clamp it down. I'm not sure if the Duron/TBirds are off-center or not.

We could be more helpful if you'd describe what CPU and HS/Fan you're asking about :).

EDIT: Make sure the CPU has had time to cool before handling it, of course :).

FarENheiT

Oct 9, 2000
If there are no clamps or screws holding it in, and its just the grease holding it on, you can use dental floss. Just wrap the floss around the space where the heatsink and chip meet, then pull it through. You can cross the ties to "cut" through the grease. Then use acetone or something to clean the grease off.

Killer Ape

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
I now see its a coppermine. If you're trying to remove the Intel stock HS, you may need a little force to get it off as their thermal pads can get sticky and sometimes harden. If the pad has hardened, you could try running the proc for awhile to heat it up and soften it. Just be careful not to get burned when removing it.

Definitely pay attention to the orientation of the HS when clamping it, otherwise it'll be off center and not contact the slug correctly.

mikelou26

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
i have a coppermine....
p3 and a geforce ultra
=D
muhahahaha
=D
i want to replace fan for both..
i am getting the alpha fan for p3 and ...
a copper heatsink and fan for my graphic card...
should u use glue?

Killer Ape

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
Use thermal grease for the Alpha. It'll probably come with a little package, if not you can get some at Radio Shack. Just a very thin layer on the CPU slug, then clamp the Alpha on.

For the GF Ultra, the HS is probably either screwed on, glued on with thermal epoxy, or held in place with rubber posts (like my Prophet II). If its screwed on or held with posts, I'd just use a dab of thermal grease again and attach the new HS/fan on the same way the old one came off. If it's glued on, then you may have to either get some thermal epoxy, which isn't a great heat transfer medium, or figure out some way to jerry-rig the HS/fan to mount onto the board. Nylon ties work well for this kind of thing. Again, like the CPU, what you're looking for is a thin layer of grease and tight, uniform contact between the slug and the HS.

In general, I don't find the GF2 cores get that hot, so the stock HS/fan may be fine. You don't really benefit that much from OCing the core since it's so bandwidth limited by the memory. It's the memory speed that counts, even with the Ultras.

Killer Ape

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
I'm assuming this is not a Slot 1 CPU. The HS for the CPU comes with a metal clip that hooks over the protrusions on the edge of the CPU socket. You hook one end of the clip onto the socket hook, then snap the other end over the other hook. Look at how you're current HS is mounted. The replacement will be installed in a similar fashion. For what they charge, I'd hope the Alpha will come with installation instructions anyway.

I don't know what HS you're getting for the vidcard, so I can't elaborate there. But DarkAngel (I can't bring myself to type the numbers in lieu of letters ;)) is right. Thermal Epoxy is really a last resort as it is a bad conductor of heat. Again, I'm not sure you even need a new HS for the vidcard anyway.

mikelou26

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
yea but i am saying
how to get the heatsink of on chip og the gpu for the video card?
how?
thermal grease that is it?
etc.?

Killer Ape

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
Mikelou: I have to admit I'm still confused. You want to know how to get the EXISTING HS off the GPU on the vidcard?

Killer Ape

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
Unless you two know each other, chill out.

Mikelou, I'm going to try one last time, and then I'm going to have to give up until I get a clearer picture of what your question is and EXACTLY what parts you're trying to install.

1. If the EXISTING HS is CURRENTLY attached to the GPU with thermal epoxy, then you will probably have to attach the NEW HS to it with thermal epoxy UNLESS there is some way to anchor it against the GPU with screws, nylon ties, etc.

2. If the EXISTING HS is CURRENTLY attached to the GPU with bolts/screws through holes in the PC Board, then you will PROBABLY be able to attach the NEW HS to it using the same holes and possibly the same bolts/screws.

3.If the EXISTING HS is CURRENTLY attached to the GPU with plastic posts, then you will PROBABLY be able to attach the NEW HS to it using the same posts or possibly by removing the posts and using bolts/screws to attach the NEW HS through the same holes.

In case 1 you WOULD use thermal epoxy. NOTE IT MUST BE THERMAL EPOXY, NOT REGULAR HOME DEPOT BRAND EPOXY. You WOULD NOT use thermal grease.

In cases 2 and 3 you WOULD NOT use thermal epoxy. You would use bolts/screws/plastic posts as described. You WOULD use THERMAL GREASE between the HS and the GPU since they are mechanically fastened to each other. Please pay attention that any metal fasteners you install do not cause any shorts on the PCB.

In NO case would you use BOTH thermal epoxy AND thermal grease.

Hope this clarifies things. If it doesn't re-read the other posts (except Blue Screen's) and hopefully it will become clear.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000

<< am i suppose to put glue plusa termal grease on the heatsink on the gpu? >>

mikelou26, did you try the link I sent? I think it will explain any question you might have.

mikelou26

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
yo can u BOYBLUEVW just chill? geese yo..I am just asking questions man
i just wanna get it right BOYblueVW....man that is wut forums are for BOY, so chill out geese and if u not gonna help dont comment on anything then aiights? is that clear?by the way
thanks everyone
:)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
BlueScreen,

Whether or not Mike is 'Too stupid to own a computer' is something that only someone who actually KNOWS him can say for sure...

It is, however, quite evident that you are 'Too rude to own a keyboard.'

Yes, it appears that Mike doesn't appear to be picking up on the answers that have been given, but as he said himself, he just wants to make sure he's doing it right, and for someone who has never before done anything like he is attempting, I'd say that it is very SMART of him to make sure, rather than risk trashing his CPU..