How do pro gamers avoid crashes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Sometimes games do crash, sometimes hardware fails. Usually most games let you pause, so they just pause while the relevant player gets sorted out and either rejoins, or they restart the game (depending on when the issue happens).
Happens relatively frequently, especially if you imagine you have 10+ people in a game (e.g. League of Legends), and each of them could have an issue.

They just pause the game and then the guy reconnects, or if it's a computer hardware issue they might swap out the PC with a spare, as usually they have spare PCs kicking around just in case.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
Indeed. Use the rig for gaming. Only install essential software. Do not always do upgrades, proceed with care. Have any software you do not need shut down. End all services you do not need.
Try blackviper site.
Keep do hardware monitoring and regular cleanups.

Just keep a tidy rig. :)

http://www.blackviper.com/

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I would guess that in instances where they are using their personal PC, they probably have thousands of hours behind them on that machine. Any instabilities will have been addressed long ago.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
I enjoy that you had to go all the way back to Wn 98 for an example.

This is a non-issue. It wasn't arrogant at all.

Windows has been stable since XP for the most part. And it's only gotten better since. Instability to the point of wondering about it today, could mean a couple things.

OP is just a bit naive on the matter. That's not an insult. They just need to get a bit more educated on the subject.

On further thought, that's probably the main reason. If they built a crappy box, it's not necessarily out of stupidity, but naivete. Just got in over their head without enough information.

It's certainly a moot issue today, though. Instability comes from PEBKAC and hardware malfunctions. The latter can be minimized by using known dependable parts, and it's still a fairly rare issue.

I was referring to AP's inference that OP was an incompetent moron that can't build stable rigs. OP didn't say anything about experiencing any problems personally with his PC. He just asked if pros do anything above and beyond what the average gamer does. I found that inferrence to be presumptuous and arrogant.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I was referring to AP's inference that OP was an incompetent moron that can't build stable rigs. OP didn't say anything about experiencing any problems personally with his PC. He just asked if pros do anything above and beyond what the average gamer does. I found that inferrence to be presumptuous and arrogant.

Nailed it.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
really. that kind of piss me off. you have never experienced software that **REMOVED** up your games

Well maybe someday you will join the pro gamer club mate

No cursing in PC Gaming

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Indeed. Use the rig for gaming. Only install essential software. Do not always do upgrades, proceed with care. Have any software you do not need shut down. End all services you do not need.
Try blackviper site.

Sounds reasonable. Now, pro gamers may not have the following issue because they aren't likely to play buggy games, but sometimes a game is just unstable and you have to wait for it to be fixed. BF4 = prime example.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Do people's computers really crash that much?

Most gamers encounter driver crashes at some point. I've had Nvidia and Creative issues before...not often, but they happen. I'm sure overlockers encounter occasional crashes even on mostly stable clocks. Of course the games themselves...anyone with a Dice game is going to crash. ;)

I bet most here seriously don't even remember most of their crashes. Fix and forget.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm trying to track down some instability in my gamer / DC rig.

I am far far from n00b at building PCs. (Been putting them together since before the IBM-PC.)

But sometimes, things out of the ordinary happen.

The rig in question, has:
GA-H81M-DS2V v1.0 (shipped with newest F6 BIOS)
G3258 (was OCed from 3.2 to 3.8, stock copper-cored Intel HSF)
2x4GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 (28?), running at 1400 due to mobo / CPU limitations.
Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU (dual 6-pin PCI-E power connectors, was new, but in storage for years)
HIS 7950 3GB GDDR5 (not overclocked, using 14.12 Cat Omega drivers)
Win7 HP 64-bit SP1-U DR ISO, updated of course
Logitech Unifying reciever for keyboard / mouse plugged into front USB2.0
PT-8812AU USB3.0 AC1200 wifi dongle, plugged into rear USB3.0 port via shielded extension cable
Ultra brand dual-bay USB3.0 HDD dock, self-powered, plugged into other rear USB3.0 port

Earlier this week, I got a STOP 0x101 (timer interrupt not received on secondary processor), and a few days ago, a complete hard freeze (monitor wouldn't wake up).

Currently running CPU stock @ 3.2Ghz instead of 3.8Ghz for testing.

Had one instance of a download not showing up properly after downloading. Could be M500 SSD.

Mar 10, 2005
yeah, crashing shouldn't be, and practically isn't, an issue in 2015.

1. overclocking or other settings maladjustment - if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it.

2. game bug - not much you can do. maybe there's a fix somewhere on the internet, maybe not.

3. defective hardware - imo less and less common. i'll include here people asking waaay too much from waaay too shitty a power supply and those that don't provide for proper cooling.

Try blackviper site.

holy crap black viper stopped being relevant 10 years ago.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I have a separate 5930K system for gaming. I had FC4 crash with Nvidia related errors and checking online I'd blame Ubisoft, and later patches reduced it. Dying Light was also twitchy 2 or 3 times with a later patch. Apart from that I run it @ 3.7GHz, so more or less stock, and its empty of everything excepting games/patches/drivers/benchmarking software. I also make sure its up to date Windows wise when I can. Never had issues.

The key is to keep it clean and lean and stock.

And as has been mentioned "crashes" are rare. Its more than likely the game than the actual system. The bigger problem is the lack of single player AAA games; 2014 was a drought and 2015 is little better. Jan/Feb/March - Dying Light and AC (meh) and what else?

Feb 6, 2007

My post was more in reference to the person immediately before me who expressed shock that 64 people could manage to run a game for 5 minutes without experiencing a crash. It seems like such a ridiculous expectation in this day and age.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Apart from what a lot of people are saying here it does happen. They will restart the round or pause depending on the rules and situation when a game crashes or a bug occurs.

As far as hardware failure being less common I am not sure about that. I would like to see some data. I had two BFG 670 FTWs be bad right out of the box for instance. I imagine there were more in that batch and depending on the problem not every card may have displayed it at first. As it was I had to do testing before I noticed it.

I have had a lot of computers with 100s to 1000s of hours and I have had 2 motherboard failures in that time. Yes I was running a name brand power supply that got great reviews and I always am doing so. One motherboard lost the PCIE slots functionality and I do not remember the other.

The equipment does have a life span and while it is long if it is used for 1000s of hours it will eventually fail. Tournaments circumvent this issue by providing computers for the players. I assume they are all run through a gauntlet of tests prior to the game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just wouldnt overclock. And I suppose I'd run a full virus scan the night before.

Also, I'd bring a small UPS with me, no excuses for power problems.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
How to avoid crashing, don't overclock, lol. Although sometimes you'll have those buggy programs that just crash out no matter what -- Bethesda!!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I usually do a clean install of Windows every other year. Just to clear out all the misc .dll files that end up getting installed from 3rd party programs. Also make sure nothing is bogging down resources.

Besides from that, you're at the Mercy of AMD/Intel, Nvidia, and Direct X.

Mar 10, 2005
Well the less you got running background, the less chance of a crash. It is that simple. :)

[off topic]
sorry about cussing.

generally, i'd agree with you. BUT... the days of disabling print spool svc to gain a few fps are way over. with vista and later, services are so intertwined, your best bet is to leave it all alone.

my formula for a stable computer:

1. don't buy crap hardware
2. don't install any unnecessary software
3. don't break things
4. clean the dust out

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Windows updates isn't always blameless here either. But it's true that the fewest services necessary to run games does maintain a smoother experience overall. Windows is designed for a 1 size fits all, might as well customize it just for you. That's what many Linux folks do.

The most consistent computer I've ever owned for years on end has been my customized stripped down version of Windows 7 without an internet connection on my MAME arcade cabinet. 4 gigs vs 11+. No messages, alerts, scheduled tasks...etc. It just runs MAME so streamlining it just for that is keeping it simple. Same for gaming unless you use it for many other things.