How do people like Rocket League??

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
The great thing about RL is you don't need much time to play it... the matches are 5 minutes long so you can play for as little as 7 or 8 min even if you go into overtime or you can play for hours, your choice. Having PC and PS4 gamers playing together (on dedicated servers) means there are always people to play with (usually 100K+) and virtually no wait time to find a new game if you decide to change servers. I've described it as a David among Goliath's... took down some AAA titles and has held on to the #1 spot on Steam since it came out last month. All by just word of mouth. Games like this come along once in a blue moon and I'm happy I gave it a chance. Best $20 I've spent in a long time.

Reviews:
Metacritic 4/5
IGN 8/10
Steam 9/10
Gamespot 9/10
PC Gamer Editors Choice 87

You get the idea. We play games to have fun and this game puts the capital 'F' in Fun. :D

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I got it free on PlayStation Plus but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Heard good things about it.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I got it for free on my PS4 but I'm not into competitive games. Tried it a bit and got bored after a while, but I can see how it can be a great game for people who like competitive games.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Very addicting. 5 minute matches are the perfect length.

I love how bare bones the whole presentation is. It really puts gameplay before anything else.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Weird how things change it was on the PS3 years ago (same company, same game, different name (google it)) and nobody played it.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have it on my PS4 because it was free for PS+, then a friend bought me a copy on steam for my birthday, so i've been playing it a decent amount the past few days maybe 10-15 hours so far. Mostly enjoy the dynamic of doubles matches, 3v3 is a bit too chaotic for me, and 4v4 is just retarded.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
My son loves it. I haven't tried it and don't expect to. Only competitive games I'm playing right now is Hearthstone and HoTS.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It's one of the most ridiculously fun games I've ever played, no question.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I have it on my PS4 because it was free for PS+, then a friend bought me a copy on steam for my birthday, so i've been playing it a decent amount the past few days maybe 10-15 hours so far. Mostly enjoy the dynamic of doubles matches, 3v3 is a bit too chaotic for me, and 4v4 is just retarded.

Just picked it up this weekend, I seem to gravitate to 3s, but I haven't given 2s a fair shake yet. 3s is nice because you have 2 on O 1 on D, and rotate as necessary.

2s you can't really play dedicated D, fast break=free goal I expect at the higher end, or do 2s play 1 on O 1 on D? That'd seem odd.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
LOVE this game. Haven't stopped playing it since I got it free on PS+. My brother played one game and instantly bought it on PC when he got home. I play at least 3 matches every day. My 2 year old son loves watching it on my lap while I play because it has his two favorite things, cars and balls.

Note. Watching this game doesn't do it justice, you have to play.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Just picked it up this weekend, I seem to gravitate to 3s, but I haven't given 2s a fair shake yet. 3s is nice because you have 2 on O 1 on D, and rotate as necessary.

2s you can't really play dedicated D, fast break=free goal I expect at the higher end, or do 2s play 1 on O 1 on D? That'd seem odd.

usually its 1 O and 1 D in 2s, but the D plays mid so if O crosses to center you can boost in for a shot on goal. Generally if I am playing D I will tell my teammate when I am taking a shot on goal and he will head back mid to make sure they dont make a save and instant break to goal.

Honestly if there was a way to do 3v3 ranked with a 3 man group I would probably be into that as I have 2 friends who I would play with, but they limit ranked to 2v2 groups or nothing.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
usually its 1 O and 1 D in 2s, but the D plays mid so if O crosses to center you can boost in for a shot on goal. Generally if I am playing D I will tell my teammate when I am taking a shot on goal and he will head back mid to make sure they dont make a save and instant break to goal.

Honestly if there was a way to do 3v3 ranked with a 3 man group I would probably be into that as I have 2 friends who I would play with, but they limit ranked to 2v2 groups or nothing.

They are implementing 3v3 ranked but not 4v4. Maybe next patch? Not sure, reading a bunch of random stuff learning.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I'm having a hard time launching for ariels. I'm pushing forward to, ya know, go forward (KbM) but when I jump forward translates to pitch and I'm aiming down. This seems odd, sure W should be down when flying, but going from needing to build speed (not boosting until launch) and aiming up, ugh...

Do I need a controller to do this properly?

edit: I'm pushing W to go forward, try to release at the same time as jump, then pitch back and boost. I often end up getting a touch of pitch down (w) just as I launch, which kind of ruins my trajectory or forces me to use a ton of boost.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
A controller would probably make your life a lot easier but it does sound like you're doing it right using the keyboard. It's just a PITA to actually be accurate mid-air even with a controller. Some people are good at it - and I'm starting to see more of it as I progress through the ranks - but I'm not one of them. I can time my jumps but some people are really good at just soaring thru the air and hitting the ball perfectly. They probably just have a lot more time to play than I do. :p

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm having a hard time launching for ariels. I'm pushing forward to, ya know, go forward (KbM) but when I jump forward translates to pitch and I'm aiming down. This seems odd, sure W should be down when flying, but going from needing to build speed (not boosting until launch) and aiming up, ugh...

Do I need a controller to do this properly?

edit: I'm pushing W to go forward, try to release at the same time as jump, then pitch back and boost. I often end up getting a touch of pitch down (w) just as I launch, which kind of ruins my trajectory or forces me to use a ton of boost.

I think it may just need a controller to be decent...

I use a DS4 on my computer and it works great.