How do I use Zelle?

Nov 17, 2019
Seriously.

I'm having a vehicle shipped. Deposit is by CC, but they want cash or Zelle on delivery. Is it safe?

I've never used it before and don't know the steps.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's too easy to get ripped off with zelle. If they take your $$$ and you get nothing...you have zero recourse to get your $$$ back.
Since it's money on delivery, I wouldn't give them a dime until it passed a prodessional inspection. Without knowing where the car is from...it's real easy to get stuck with a "flood car" that might LOOK fine...until the electronics start to fail...ot interior parts start to crumble.
Hard pass for me.

Nov 17, 2019
I'll be standing with the person when I send it, with the vehicle on the ground after being unloaded.

May be easier than I though. Logged in through my back, made a couple of clicks, got registered. Found the screen to send.

I guess the driver will give me their contact info when they get here. I just need to have the money in the account and ready to go.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
It's too easy to get ripped off with zelle. If they take your $$$ and you get nothing...you have zero recourse to get your $$$ back.
Since it's money on delivery, I wouldn't give them a dime until it passed a prodessional inspection. Without knowing where the car is from...it's real easy to get stuck with a "flood car" that might LOOK fine...until the electronics start to fail...ot interior parts start to crumble.
Hard pass for me.
If it's his own car being shipped I don't see the problem.

Dec 10, 2005
You basically just go through your bank's app send money feature, and you input the contact info of who you are sending to.

Just make sure you have the right info and treat the payment like giving someone cash (ie, no recourse if something gets fucked).

Reactions: Captante
Nov 17, 2019
Vehicle is already paid for by other means. Initial deposit for the transport fee will be paid by CC. It's just the final balance for the transport fee that needs to be paid in person when they unload. Their options are cash, MO, bank check or Zelle. The first three would require a trip to the bank.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Vehicle is already paid for by other means. Initial deposit for the transport fee will be paid by CC. It's just the final balance for the transport fee that needs to be paid in person when they unload. Their options are cash, MO, bank check or Zelle. The first three would require a trip to the bank.

These details make me a lot more optimistic .... even so the "no-brainer" choice here is either the bank "cashiers check" -OR- USPS MO which constitutes legally binding "proof of payment".

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

Just be sure you get a receipt. Write it up yourself beforehand if necessary and have him sign it. Include your name, his name, amount, date, what it's payment for and that it constitutes payment in full.

Cash, or in this case Zelle payment, shouldn't leave this hand without a receipt coming into the other hand.

Reactions: Captante

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
FWIW I have been using Zelle for several years now (mostly in lieu of gift checks to offspring). Agree that it is the same as handing over cash - once sent it is as good as gone. What makes Zelle perhaps a bit better than cash is that (at least with Wells Fargo) there is a record of the transfer in the bank records.