How do I unclog the filter/basket on my espresso machine?

orakle

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
So I've had a Saeco Magic Cappuccino/Espresso Machine for about a month now, and lately the coffee it makes hasn't been as good (it's been watery).

I took the basket out of the portafilter and noticed that many of the little holes in it have fine coffee grinds caked on that won't come out with warm soapy water and elbow grease. I've done some searching online and found out that it's not recommended to use a pin to clean out the holes, because you could damage the basket.

So, coffee snobs of ATOT, how do I unclog this thing properly? I really want good coffee again.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Compressed air sounds like your best bet. From a real air compressor, not a can of air. I doubt that has enough power ti dislodge that.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
You don't need to worry about that, there's so much pressure (around 120psi) that a few particles won't matter.
As for general espresso machine cleaning, use something like cafiza to clean baskets and exterior parts, but do not put it in the water tank. http://1st-line.com/parts/urnex/index.htm

Have you changed anything in the past month, like switching to a different blend of beans? Different beans need to be ground to a different degree of fineness, so I'm going to guess that you should grind finer if it's "watery."
You can get more info at coffeegeek.com, ask questions at the forum.

orakle

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Soak in white vinegar solution?

I'm trying that now, gonna go check on it in a few minutes

Originally posted by: NokiaDude
you can take apart that basket. read the instructions.

I meant the little "cup" that you put the coffee grinds in. Like this.

Originally posted by: everman
Have you changed anything in the past month, like switching to a different blend of beans? Different beans need to be ground to a different degree of fineness, so I'm going to guess that you should grind finer if it's "watery."
I think I might've used some coffee that was too fine, and that's why it's stuck in the holes. I was previously using coarser grinds, like the kind you would put in a drip machine, but a friend came over with some freshly ground coffee that had the consistency of like.. icing sugar. And after that it all went downhill.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: orakle
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Soak in white vinegar solution?

I'm trying that now, gonna go check on it in a few minutes

Originally posted by: NokiaDude
you can take apart that basket. read the instructions.

I meant the little "cup" that you put the coffee grinds in. Like this.

Originally posted by: everman
I think I might've used some coffee that was too fine, and that's why it's stuck in the holes. I was previously using coarser grinds, like the kind you would put in a drip machine, but a friend came over with some freshly ground coffee that had the consistency of like.. icing sugar. And after that it all went downhill.

Used to work at coffee shop. I don't think we ever had a problem with the portafilter baskets not cleaning. I bet a toothbrush would work though.

We also used a powdered soap similar to the cafiza stuff to clean it everyday. However, you're going to need a hole-less basket. You essential run it like you're making a shot, but without holes, the soap runs through the system.