How do I survive a 15 hour nonstop flight?

Aug 25, 2004
I'm flying nonstop across the international date line. What do I do to keep myself entertained for 15 hours?

Some of the things I thought of:
1. Load up iPod and listen for 15 hours.
Problems: battery won't last that long, can't listen to music for 15 hours nonstop, need better headphones.
Can you recommend a decent pair of noise-canceling headphones that won't hurt my wallet?

2. Grab a few good books.
Problems: can't read for 15 hours, kinda rude to leave my reading light on when everyone else is sleeping.

3. Skip sleep the night before the flight. As soon as flight is in the air, consume ridiculous amounts of red wine and fall asleep.
Problems: Will wake up with a bad base of economy class syndrome.

4. Make out with hot chick in the next seat.
Problems: You wish!

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Wow, this thread came back from the dead, so I guess an update wouldn't hurt. Cliffs at the end.

I flew Korean air, nonstop from ATL to ICN. Departing flight was 15 hours, the return was 13 hours (or vice versa), probably due to prevailing wind conditions.

I passed most of my time watching movies or listening to music. On the flight to ICN, I had lots of legroom and two seats to myself, so that was nice. Across the aisle, a Korean kid was playing some strategy game on his laptop. I didn't recognize the game so I spoke to him for a while. But he didn't know a lot of English and I don't know any Korean so that was an interesting conversation. On the return flight, I had an aisle seat next to a young lady with a little kid so we killed a lot of time chatting about random stuff.

In Seoul, one official walked up to me and asked "US Army?" I burst out laughing and I have no idea what made him think I'd qualify to be in the Army.

On both flights, I managed to grab a seat in the first row, which meant I had a lot of legroom. My seat also had a power outlet. Had I known this earlier, I would have carried my laptop and some movies/games (somehow seatguru.com didn't have correct information). I used the power outlet to keep my iPod charged. By some miracle, all infants/little-kids on both flights were peaceful.

Summary: Overall, not a bad experience at all. While 15/16 hour flights can be a b!tch, I think it's better to complete the journey in one sitting, as opposed to flying for eight/nine hours, waiting an hour or two and catching another eight/nine hour flight.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
I got lucky and my airline had a built-in SNES. i beat Link to the Past and Super Punch Out!!!

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
I'd say a combination of the first 3 options, minus the sleep deprivation and booze. It's hard to peg just one thing to do for 15 hours, let alone stuck on a plane. Bring a few books, maybe get one of those little lights so you dont' have to use the overhead deal, and some good music on your iPod.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Do you have something like a Nintendo DS? I have no idea what my dad does, he travels from NJ to Europe or China more times than I can remember. I'll ask him.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
It is OK to leave the light on, also check to see if there is in flight entertainment. I fly NWA and they have little tv's in the back of the seat in front of you. I killed like 6 hours watching movies.

Also suduko (sp?)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
books on tape!

get a book called "A Game Of Thrones" It will keep you busy for both the trip out and back.

50cent1228

Platinum Member
Oct 5, 2006
hope you have a laptop of dvd player or ipod video or just an ipod....or your dead ...unless ur in buisness or first class then you have many,many movies and food to choose from. or you can always do suggestion # 3

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
All of the trans-Pacific flights I've taken in the past six years have had movies or something playing on the overhead screen even in Coach. If in a higher class, you get to choose your movies, games, TV shows, etc.

They'll usually dim the lights and most people sleep. I usually don't. I read or watch movies. I've tried to do work on the plane, but I just can't concentrate.

BTW, I've met one woman in about twenty flights aross the ocean. We had great conversations, but that was it.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I'll be doing a trip like that in January and have it almost planned out...

1. PSP with two battery packs... 6 hours and some change
2. MP3 player with video (Creative Zen Vision M)
3. Mini-dvd player and a couple movies
4. a good book. I haven't decided which one yet.
5. Ipaq to play solitaire :)

5. Sleep when the urge arises.

I did alot of travelling at my last job, so I acquired quite a few gadgets :) Bringing a laptop is out of the question...just too heavy and bulky.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Bring your laptop, plug that baby into the outlet and play WoW for 15 hours straight.

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Brothers Karamazov by Feodor Dostoevsky

Get it on tape if you get tired of reading, or follow along with the text while having it on tape. Best book I've ever read.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Confess to unsolved murder in destination country and fly first class with champagne.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I got a Creative Zen Vision W and an external battery pack. With enough AA batteries I could watch TV indefinitely.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Logitech has a new pair of headphones that you can unplug the cord from the headset itself and still use it to cencel out airplane noise. $140 or so

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Vaseline, and not for THAT reason :p

Keep your lips and skin from cracking. And in case you sit next to a stinker, you might want to take something that will cover up bad smells.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
What airlines are u flying?

If u are flying into Asia, ur flight will be at night time, so u will sleep for a good number of hours. I usually sleep 5-8 hours.

Then just read some books, watch movies, play games, etc.

Or you can fly business and enjoy the experience even more like what I am doing tonite :p:D

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
I know it will be hard, but really, limit the booze, and make sure you drink lots of water. Ambien or similar will help you sleep better and you will feel much better when you wake.
Get some noise cancelling headphones.

Jun 27, 2005
I survive long flights $5 at a time. :beer::D:beer:

I also mix in some reading and I might catch the movie if it's not too terrible but overall, alcohol makes the time fly by.