How do I stop windows from reverting display settings back after appling them?

May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
When you change display settings there is a ridiculously short timer dialog box that shows up and if you don't click ok fast enough, it reverts back.

How do you stop this? I'm trying to make changes to my setup at work, and by the time the monitors flicker and screw around and stuff shuffles all over the place, it's too late, and it just reverts back. I don't don't have enough time to try to find where the dialog ended up so I can click ok. Is there a way to just make the changes permanent and not have to chase that stupid thing around? I am trying to incorporate a KVM in my work setup but by switching to another monitor input it pretty much messed all my monitor setup so trying to fix it.

May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
I managed to get it going but man that was annoying. They should at very least increase the timer to like a minute. I get why it's there, if it's completely fubard at least it reverts, but it should be a longer timer. The two side screens are portrait but they got switched to normal mode, so it was very hard moving the cursor and they were in wrong order so it made it very hard to navigate and try to chase that ok button wherever it ended up. What I ended up doing is setting the proper monitor as primary since it got switched when I unplugged the input. Then I fixed the other monitors, basically had to do it in several steps so there was less shuffling around when I hit apply.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There should be no need for fiddling with the display resolution settings. Each monitor needs to be recognized in Device Manager by the exact monitor brand name and model number.
Normally, Windows Update will download and install that type of device driver information.
If the type font seems too small, there are other display settings that would keep the screen resolution at default, but increase the apparent resolution. Such as increasing the "scale" setting from 100% to 125%, but leaving the screen resolution at the default 1980 x 1080 (in my case), for example.

Last edited:
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
For whatever reason at my work, if you turn off or unplug a monitor, it causes everything to shuffle and go all nuts. It will even change the order and orientation of the monitors sometimes which is what happened that time. So yeah you have to fiddle around with it to get it back to normal, which is what I was doing. Issue is because it also changed orientation it made it very hard to control the mouse, and it also changed the order so it was hard to tell where my cursor was even going.

But yeah I ended up being able to do it in several steps. I started by changing the primary monitor to the one that was the correct orientation and hit apply, it did not shuffle and flash as much so I had more time to click ok. Then at least the dialog box stayed there when I did the other changes.