How do I set up an external hard drive?

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
I bought a Seagate 160 GB hard drive (internal) and an external enclosure to I could turn it into a portable hard drive. So I put everything together. The hard drive is brand new; so how would I go about formatting it to become recognizable under Windows XP (NTFS)?

BTW, it is connected to the computer through USB. This is the first time I have ever set one of these up. Help.

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
If the Drive is seen in the OS after you boot, then highlight/right click/properies and format the drive...

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
go to control panel -> administration -> Computer administration -> disc handeling

I think the jumper on the harddrive should be set to master and not cable select.

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: biostud
go to control panel -> administration -> Computer administration -> disc handeling

I think the jumper on the harddrive should be set to master and not cable select.

I've done that. It doesn't show up there. And the hard drive is set at master.

tullnd

Jan 22, 2005
When you plug the drive in, does the computer indicate that it detects any new USB devices?

Try booting with the drive disconnected. Verify that the enclosure is powered on(I'm assuming you have the external case plugged into an outlet). After Windows is fully booted, plug in the cable to your computer. Does the USB device appear at that point?