How do I respectfully reply to this e-mail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by: sinucus
Originally posted by: TechnoPro

What I actually did: VNC'd into her Dell laptop NOT her MAC. Actually, she initiated an outbound connection to my IP address since she is behind the router.

How exactly did you get her VNC to establish an outbound connection so that you could remote in?

Exactly?

On my end, I have a port opened on my router. I launched the VNC viewer in listening mode - it listens on the opened port.

I then indsructed the client to launch the VNC Server application on her laptop. Then right-click on the VNC server icon in the notification area -> Add new client. Type in the WAN IP address in the Host Name field, and click OK.

Done.

Edit -

I must add that normally it's all automated; I have deployed a simple client application that does the above in a way transparent to the end-user, but...it's broken. So it's back to the manual way for now.

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: sinucus

What I actually did: VNC'd into her Dell laptop NOT her MAC. Actually, she initiated an outbound connection to my IP address since she is behind the router.

How exactly did you get her VNC to establish an outbound connection so that you could remote in?

Exactly?

On my end, I have a port opened on my router. I launched the VNC viewer in listening mode - it listens on the opened port.

I then indsructed the client to launch the VNC Server application on her laptop. Then right-click on the VNC server icon in the notification area -> Add new client. Type in the WAN IP address in the Host Name field, and click OK.

Done.

Edit -

I must add that normally it's all automated; I have deployed a simple client application that does the above in a way transparent to the end-user, but...it's broken. So it's back to the manual way for now.

I'll have to test that when I get a chance. Thankfully all my users are corp now so they are all behind the same network. My last job was 90% remote and I never figured out how to do that. I just told em to fsck off. Man I hated that job...