How do I remove the HeatSink from a K6-2 retail--

SaxOphoneKid

Jun 1, 2000
how do I remove the stock heatsink to add an aftermarket one. It seems to be "glued" on. I can't just seem to be able to pull them apart

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You might try freezing it for a half hour or so, that should make the glue brittle. Then try sliding a razor blade between the CPU & heatsink.

Viper GTS

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
For some type of glue, or very dry silicone paste.

Let the CPU run some heavy graphics (few loops of 3DMax, or Final Reality). Switch off the computer and try gently to pry the HSF with samll screw driver, while the CPU is hot.

Worked for me numerous amount of time.

SaxOphoneKid

Jun 1, 2000
JackMDS-I like the "let-it-run" idea. Thanks

DaddyG--Purchased from a retail store, it's a boxed unit w/ heatsink and fan attached from AMD.

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
How fast is it?
The one I gotten was K6 233mhz
it was Medium Size ball bearing Fan
It would never come off, I even tried using screwdriver
but guess what happen?
The edges of it broke off, also I don't recommend
you freeze it might ruin the chips, or might not but wouldn't try it a risk to take.
My best suggestion would be to just leave it on cause it like
melted on the cpu you pretty much have to saw it
of course that is difficult too.

chottoed

Oct 11, 1999
here's an easier plan...
soak it in either rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover...
that'll dissolve or soften the glue w/o damaging the chip
actually don't soak... just drip in between the chip and cooler

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
I recently took a heatsink off a k6-2. The freezing method is very good, just leave it in for a while, then pry off with flathead. Cpu's aren't as delicaate as u think, the pins however.. be careful.

SaxOphoneKid

Jun 1, 2000
It's a k6-2 500. I can OC it to 550 but then i'm running at 95F. I think that to hot. So for now I'm keeping it stock until I get that heatsink off. I thinks I'm going to try the rubbing alcohol tonight.

Thanks---

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
Either you freeze it and try to remove that way or you can upp the voltage and run a program that will make the heatsink very very hot and then try to remove it from there.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I have an AMD with the retail HSF.
It is running at 95F with no problem, my room temp. is around 75F to 80F (depends on the AC setting).

If your room is not very cold, and it is running 95F at the cpu, I would not worry about it.