How do I prevent Windows Firewall from blocking other accounts on Win Vista?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've never used multiple accounts before and I just set up a new one for my girlfriend on my old PC but Steam requires access through the firewall and I can't figure out how to give access.

Any information is greatly appreciated. This has been a huge nightmare since I started piecing these two PCs together.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGameIssue/?appid=353380&issueid=350&nodeid=23

In some cases, your firewall may prevent the Steam Link from connecting to your host PC.
If setting permissions for Steam fails, do the following to disable your firewall temporarily (on Windows).

1. On your host PC, press the Windows key on your keyboard
  2. Type: firewall
  3. Select Windows Firewall from the list
  4. Click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off
  5. Check Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) and click OK

Do the following to re-enable Windows Firewall and create an exception for Steam in your firewall settings.

1. From the Windows Firewall window, click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall
  2. Click the Change Settings button
  3. Check all boxes for Steam
  4. Click OK

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Surely when you start Steam, the Windows Firewall asks if you want the Steam service to be allowed access, you click on the button to allow access, job done?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGameIssue/?appid=353380&issueid=350&nodeid=23

In some cases, your firewall may prevent the Steam Link from connecting to your host PC.
If setting permissions for Steam fails, do the following to disable your firewall temporarily (on Windows).

1. On your host PC, press the Windows key on your keyboard
  2. Type: firewall
  3. Select Windows Firewall from the list
  4. Click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off
  5. Check Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) and click OK

Do the following to re-enable Windows Firewall and create an exception for Steam in your firewall settings.

1. From the Windows Firewall window, click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall
  2. Click the Change Settings button
  3. Check all boxes for Steam
  4. Click OK
I can turn it off with the admin account for it to not cause problems on the new account I created, but I was running under the assumption you could still enable the firewall for all users with exceptions to certain programs. When I access the exceptions, it lets me allow Steam or deny Steam - it doesn't give me user options. I turned it off and everything works fine, but I was hoping there was a way to keep it on.

Surely when you start Steam, the Windows Firewall asks if you want the Steam service to be allowed access, you click on the button to allow access, job done?
No it doesn't because the new user account doesn't have admin access and changing firewall settings requires admin access.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The steam firewall setting (as for any firewall setting on a standard Windows pc) is on or off, no matter account that is logged in at the time.