How do I overclock this E2200?

vegal

May 7, 2011
Here the specs of the processor
KNI8A.png

My pc has a Radeon 5450 running on 300w power supply so I do not know what to do.

Here are the sepcs for the motherboard
EOkXx.png

Where do I start? I am a total noob at this

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Here the specs of the processor
KNI8A.png

My pc has a Radeon 5450 running on 300w power supply so I do not know what to do.

Here are the sepcs for the motherboard
EOkXx.png

Where do I start? I am a total noob at this

I have two similar processors -- E2140 or 2160, and an E2180. Your processor spec seems to be equivalent to those two: Conroe specs. Called "Pentium" instead of Core-2-Duo, but it's a dual-core low-end Conroe processor.

What motherboard and chipset are you using?

We got two low-end Gigabyte mATX motherboards with nVidia 610i chipsets -- each for about the same price as the processor. The motherboard BIOS limited over-clocking options: You couldn't adjust RAM voltage; you could only adjust processor VCore -- possibly some other voltages common in socket-775 BIOS options.

For those processors, however, we found you could fix the "Auto" voltage at the setting which Auto gave you -- I think it was about 1.30 to 1.31V. This allowed for OC settings of about 25% above stock, and I think we even had one of those processors at 33% for a while.

Because the RAM voltage could not be set, we just got some DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 RAM kits and either ran the system with a CPU:RAM ratio of 1:1, 3:4 or 4:5 -- cannot remember which.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
While BonzaiDuck is correct (I've personally overclocked a similar 65nm Celeron E1200 by close to 100%), I noticed zooming in on your screenshot that your motherboard is made by Dell which most likely means 0% chance of being able to change anything in the mobo.

Therefore most likely your only option would be to pin mod it (a quick google brings up this thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=296347)

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
If, it's a Dell mobo with no FSB adjustment. Then, pin mod is about the only way to do it. Requires a lot of patience, by the way ;)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If, it's a Dell mobo with no FSB adjustment. Then, pin mod is about the only way to do it. Requires a lot of patience, by the way ;)

I did it on a Dell laptop before and it works.

Might be better off swapping with a faster CPU as you'd be in their anyways. J St check compatability before you purchase anything.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I did it on a Dell laptop before and it works.
Of course, it does. It just requires some patience and an eagle eye. Did you use tape or paint?

Might be better off swapping with a faster CPU as you'd be in their anyways. J St check compatability before you purchase anything.
That E2200 @ 2.9Ghz should give OP a nice performance boost. Worth a try, imo.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I
Of course, it does. It just requires some patience and an eagle eye. Did you use tape or paint?

That E2200 @ 2.9Ghz should give OP a nice performance boost. Worth a try, imo.

Older CPU with pins. Bent itty bitty tiny wire and put in the socket.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I had a E2220 2.4 in a HP Motherboard that had no FSB adjustment. I used SetFSB 2.2.129.95 and it would hit 2.8 stable but would barf at 3.0. Even at stock that E2220 was a surprisingly peppy chip.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I had a E2220 2.4 in a HP Motherboard that had no FSB adjustment. I used SetFSB 2.2.129.95 and it would hit 2.8 stable but would barf at 3.0. Even at stock that E2220 was a surprisingly peppy chip.

All the OG conroes were great overclockers. Now we're stuck with these overpriced K-series. :'(

I remember the good ol days with 4.3ghz celerons that were on par with top end chips, at least in gaming.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
All the OG conroes were great overclockers. Now we're stuck with these overpriced K-series. :'(

I remember the good ol days with 4.3ghz celerons that were on par with top end chips, at least in gaming.

Shh, I've made that point a few times around here and generally someone comes along and says how great value K-series are and people moaning suffer from a sense of entitlement and want everything for free...

I think some people around here are total fans or they must be shareholders or something.

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
Shh, I've made that point a few times around here and generally someone comes along and says how great value K-series are and people moaning suffer from a sense of entitlement and want everything for free...

I think some people around here are total fans or they must be shareholders or something.

The core2 days were the golden age of overclocking. 100% overclocks weren't uncommon, and the gains were noticable at desktop level. Nowadays I just don't have the need to overclock anymore since unless gaming, cpu's are fast enough at stock.

vegal

May 7, 2011
Hmm so how do I go about doing it? I dont want to spend alot of money and also dont want blow something up because I wont be able to afford repairs

vegal

May 7, 2011
Hmm so how do I go about doing it? I dont want to spend alot of money and also dont want blow something up because I wont be able to afford repairs

I did some research and turns out I cant overclock it.. The option is locked in the Bios :(

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
You can try a software oc by using SETFSB. It may have the correct profile.

Or you can do what others have said and do a pin mod. Look at an above post for links.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
he can get a gigabyte ds3 mobo from ebay for $3. say 'ello to unlimited FSB.