How do I make secondary screen black

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
Hello ananders,

I'm a PC. That said...

I run media in a large church on a Mac using propresenter. When the program isn't running I see the whooshy purple background on the screens in the room. I don't want that. I would like to have the background black to give a more professional look.
How do I make the secondary screen background flat black? I can change the primary desktop but not the secondary.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
System Preferences in the place where you change the background, you should be able to set the backgrounds for each screen individually.

Maybe it's under displays.... I can't remember, it has been a long time since I had dual monitors on a Mac.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
When you are in changing the background in system preferences, it should pop up with the option on both monitors.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Yea, that's the thing.

What kind of monitor? I remember I had a similar issue when I hooked up my Cinema display. But Ive had a regular monitor hooked up to my mbp and it was fine. Does it detect both displays, under displays?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
What kind of monitor? I remember I had a similar issue when I hooked up my Cinema display. But Ive had a regular monitor hooked up to my mbp and it was fine. Does it detect both displays, under displays?

I'm not the OP. I was saying that what you had said sounded right.

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
Hello and thank you for the responses. The primary display is a monitor at a desk and the secondary is sent to a splitter and sent to ~8 widescreen monitors under the balcony for people there and also to a large projector on a screen up high in the middle of the stage. I will try these suggestions next sunday when I'm there. I saw the 'display' option in the system preferences but didn't see anything to change background, just normal detect display and resolution etc. I will look again at the desktop background area. Maybe I was just blind and didn't see it. Thanks again!

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
Look under Desktop & Screen Saver in System Preferences, if memory serves.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Hello and thank you for the responses. The primary display is a monitor at a desk and the secondary is sent to a splitter and sent to ~8 widescreen monitors under the balcony for people there and also to a large projector on a screen up high in the middle of the stage. I will try these suggestions next sunday when I'm there. I saw the 'display' option in the system preferences but didn't see anything to change background, just normal detect display and resolution etc. I will look again at the desktop background area. Maybe I was just blind and didn't see it. Thanks again!

The splitter could be the issue.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
it shouldn't be. If he were splitting the primary monitor image, it would be, but if I read this right, the splitter is set up as a secondary monitor.

My thought was, if its something like a USB splitter then who knows. I do not have experience running one of those things, so I wouldnt know.