How do I limit read speed of CD-ROM? (for less noise)

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
For copying data, I don't mind the noise as long as I get that 50x speed. But for playing digital music or videos off CD, the loud whir of the drive is super-annoying. Is there a way (program, etc.) to force to drive to read only at 8x or some speed where it won't make so much darn noise?
This is on a Win2k system.

Jun 18, 2000
I can't think of any program, but you can always get a and slow secondary CD-rom drive that you could use primarily for audio. I bet you could find something cheap in the FS/FT forum.

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've maxed out my available IDE channels...otherwise, an old 8x or 12x would work.

I do remember a program that limited read speed, but that was a while back and probably not compatible with Win2k.

Doomguy

Platinum Member
May 28, 2000
Asus makes the utility to lower the cdrom speed. See if you can find it on their website...

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know Plextor drives come with PlexManager which has a feature to lower drive speed if necessary.

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks! That's just the program I was looking for. :) It runs fine in Win2k. Now I don't have to hear my drive spin up, then down, then up, then down, then up, then down (must be a cd cache thing) when I listen to mp3s or watch a movie off of a CD-ROM.

I had just figured out I could use the CD drive benchmark program CDSpeed99 to do the same. But the Asus program makes it easier.