How do I get rid of an old thermostat?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I just replaced my old thermostat with a digital one to better control my house temp. The old one has one of those mercury modules, so I can't just throw it in the trash.

Can anyone give me some good suggestions on where to dispose of it? I'm in SE Michigan.

Thanks!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mercury is fun to play with. As a kid, our family dentist would give us a little bit of it in a pill bottle. I remember bringing it to school and pouring the ball of mercury on my desk, then taking a razor blade and cutting it into two balls, which I rolled around on the desktop. When you brought them back together, they would reintegrate. Very cool. :)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Mercury is fun to play with. As a kid, our family dentist would give us a little bit of it in a pill bottle. I remember bringing it to school and pouring the ball of mercury on my desk, then taking a razor blade and cutting it into two balls, which I rolled around on the desktop. When you brought them back together, they would reintegrate. Very cool. :)

I did that as well when I was a kid... yet somehow avoided getting brain damage or any other health problems from it. Amazing! :)

Just throw the damn thing away. There are probably far worse things than mercury in your trash that you throw out every day.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Put it in a basket
Place the basket on the doorstep of your local fire department
Ring the doorbell
Run away

Or just throw it in the trash.

Edit: From the michigan department of environmental quality

Tells you everything you need to know if you break the little bulb but doesn't say a word about what to do with it after you clean it up. :laugh:

"Map" of Mercury recycle locations... :laugh:

Hey! Actual contact info!

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3307_29693_4175-11691--,00.html

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

OMG...Terminator!!! :shocked: RUUUNN!!!!!!!

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
I just replaced my old thermostat with a digital one to better control my house temp. The old one has one of those mercury modules, so I can't just throw it in the trash.

Can anyone give me some good suggestions on where to dispose of it? I'm in SE Michigan.

Thanks!

Send it to me. I'll throw it in my neighbor's trash.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What the fsck is wrong with you people telling him to throw it away in the trash or bury it in the yard? WTF?!?! :|

Go fsck up someone elses planet, assholes! :|

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Kristi2k
Originally posted by: DonVito
Often your county dump will have the ability to handle toxic waste like mercury.

Same here.

Chances are you have other hazardous crap to get rid of - go dig around your basement/garage for old paint/stripper/chemicals and make one trip.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
What the fsck is wrong with you people telling him to throw it away in the trash or bury it in the yard? WTF?!?! :|

Yeah, you tell them.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005

So what planet did the mercury come from?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: jiggahertz

:laugh:

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: jiggahertz

it's from the future, haven't you seen terminator. the robots went into space and found it.