How do I get out of going to a wedding?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Girl at work, who I barely know, asks me to go to her wedding. I live in Jersey, her wedding is in Brooklyn! There is no way in hell I am riding the trains to Brooklyn in my suit! (I also think she likes me, because she was having a fit of jealousy a few weeks ago about me not making time for her :confused: )

What should I do, buy her a gift and make up some lame excuse why I can't go? (What should the excuse be?)

Or do I go to the wedding, get robbed, and beaten to a bloody pulp?

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
ROTFLMAO!

I always got the feeling, walking down the aisle, dressed in white, approaching the altar...

That I was about to be made a sacrifice!

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000

<< Say death in the family and stick a toaster in the mail. >>

LMAO Ltk.

I concur whole-heartedly :)

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
LMAO ltk007 :)

The only thing is, I see this girl everyday, so I don't want to hurt her feelings!

God I am too sensative to be a man (j/k)!

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
There's not a lot to get you out of a wedding. Death in the family is probably the best excuse. So either you lie like the dog you are ;) or you take it like a man and suffer for an entire day. BTW, where are you in NJ, I live in Marlton about 30mins from Phili.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Just drive there or take a cab. Even if you come up with a good excuse she'll still be a little angry and you'll feel guilty.

And BTW, the trains in brooklyn aren't that bad, and I doubt your suit will get messed up. If you're worried, change into your suit when you get there.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< Or do I go to the wedding, get robbed, and beaten to a bloody pulp? >>

Where is the wedding (or better yet, what trains do you have to take)? Most of the lines are safe, although some will have you saying &quot;There's no place like home&quot;.

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
Although I've never personally been able to do it, there are many times I've contemplated throwing myself down a flight of stairs to get out of going to either a wedding or family reunion. A broken bone generally is an acceptable excuse.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

<< Just drive there or take a cab. >>

I can't drive there cause I don't have a car, and don't want a car now! And as for taking a cab from New Jersey to New York, I won't even do that for family!

<< Most of the lines are safe, although some will have you saying &quot;There's no place like home&quot;. >>

I feel like this everday when I have to ride the trains just to get to work. Some people on the subways are really fvcking disgusting. I saw this POS guy blow out his boogers on the platform, and played it off like nothing happened. And one a*shole had the nerve to pick his nose on the platform, and then when he got on the train, had the nerve to expect people to stand by him! That MOFO was digging really deep into his nostrils, as if he were scratching his brains. :)

Honestly, I am a novice on the subways (first job in the city). I know that the 4 or 5 goes into Brooklyn, but I don't know how far the station is away from the church!

I'll ask someone at work tomorrow to see if a station is really close to the church. If not then tough cookies. I like her and all, but she is gonna have to deal.

I think I'll give her the URL to this thread, let her know I aint playin games! ;)

Thank guys...

Champo41

May 11, 2000

<< I also think she likes me... >>

WTF? Now's not really the time for her to be flirting!

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Death in the family. And you get to miss a couple days of work since you were at the funeral. Double bonus!

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
It all comes down to how much you like the girl and how much she will read into your decision not to go to this wedding with her.

Use the Force, Luke. :)

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I seriously doubt they'd plan the wedding itself in a bad neighborhood, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. As for the subway ride, if you're near the middle of the train and it's during the day, there's not going to be a problem.

Slapstick

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just tell her you don't attend weddings including your own. Honestly, tell her thanks for the invite but you can't make it, offer no excuses she's not a close friend so you don't owe her a reason. Lifes too short to do things you don't want to do and the sooner you learn to say no the better.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000

<< There's not a lot to get you out of a wedding >>

Except another wedding :D You regret to say your uncle is getting married that same weekend, that same day in fact. Out of state - yeah, that's the ticket ;)

ForeverSilky

Banned
Apr 6, 2000
Just say you've made plans with a friend that's coming in from out of town before she invited you to her wedding. And that you promised to take him/her out that weekend.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Just tell her you don't attend weddings including your own.

I like that one. That's my own personal philosophy. :)

The thing is, if you already had &quot;real&quot; plans that weekend like you are trying to convince her, you would have known right about the confict and been able to tell her right then and there. If you come up with something and go to her now with it, she's going to know that you pulled it out of your ass as an excuse not to go.

Trust me on this. Women have a way of foiling my evil plans. :p

mjquilly

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2000
Tell he you've been cheating on her, with her sister (make sure she was one first), or w/ her best friend if there's no sister. ...Oh wait, I othought you were talking about getting out of your own wedding.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
You're obviously not very good friends with her if you're not willing to go out of your way for her special day. Why don't you be honest with her and tell her that you don't want to go? She might think you're an ass, but at least she won't think less of you for making up lame excuses.