How do I get my local ISP to increase speeds?

tuprox

Apr 3, 2012
I am jealous. I just talked to a fellow forum member who has cable internet that offers 35 down and 5 up for $40! That is amazing! I want to know what I can do to get my local ISP's to up the rates to speeds that I know that they can provide. I get this total BS story from my ISP that they can't provide 12Mbps to my site even though the company before them offered 12MBPs for 4-5 years before Windstream took over. Once Windstream took over the service went to total $@%^ and they started making excuses like "I'm too far from the central office (I'm 6,000 ft!). It is a total lie because I've seen tests when they have me on a test port at the switch and the speed tests show 149Mbps down and over 9Mbps upload! Somehow they try to tell me that they can't even give me what I pay for at 12 Mbps.

The problem is that the local Telco and Cable seem to be price fixing and I don't know what to do. $60 per month for Internet, terrible service, and both services offer the same speeds (from what I've found) for very close to the same price.

I'd love to start a county run Internet service that offers FiOS where we sell bonds and then offer Internet, Phone and Cable. there are a lot of other states where this happens and the prices and service both increase.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the Internet companies to give better service?

Last edited:

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
In the US, wireline ISPs generally have a government-granted monopoly on the area that they serve. They don't really have a lot of incentive to provide quality customer service.

If you want a speed increase, switch ISPs. If all of the ISPs in your area give provide you with shit speeds, you could look into the agreements these ISPs have with your local government to see if they're breaching that agreement. If you find something, you can bring it to the attention of your city council (or whatever your equivalent is), although chances are that you won't.

If you really, really, REALLY want faster speeds, you could get a leased line, but be prepared to pay $$$$$ for it.

tuprox

Apr 3, 2012
In the US, wireline ISPs generally have a government-granted monopoly on the area that they serve. They don't really have a lot of incentive to provide quality customer service.

If you want a speed increase, switch ISPs. If all of the ISPs in your area give provide you with shit speeds, you could look into the agreements these ISPs have with your local government to see if they're breaching that agreement. If you find something, you can bring it to the attention of your city council (or whatever your equivalent is), although chances are that you won't.

If you really, really, REALLY want faster speeds, you could get a leased line, but be prepared to pay $$$$$ for it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into switching and also talking to them to see if there are speed upgrades planned. Maybe there could be a petition type thing that could work.