How do I get audio to auto switch between devices?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by scaramoosh, Dec 8, 2012.

1. scaramoosh

scaramoosh Member

Whenever I'm watching something on Chrome or playing a game and decided to plug a headset in or unplug it and go to speakers, I have to close the program and opening it again. I just want it to auto switch because some programs do it but others don't and Chrome used to do it for me on Windows 7 but it doesn't on Windows 8. It gets really annoying and I was wondering if there was a setting anywhere for it?

Thanx.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - audio auto switch Forum Date
    Realtek on-board audio low on one drive, ok on the other, same PC Operating Systems Dec 28, 2016
    Windows 7 autologin + Virtualbox VM auto start Operating Systems Jul 29, 2016
    audio is screwed up and I no longer can stop automatic driver updates Operating Systems Dec 2, 2015
    Audio snobs rejoice: Windows 10 will have system-wide FLAC support Operating Systems Nov 26, 2014
    Some programs/games change my default audio device. Operating Systems Jul 16, 2014

3. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

probably a driver issue not windows and application

Try drivers from manufacturer

4. scaramoosh

scaramoosh Member

It's in the volume mixer, when you plug a new bit of hardware in Chrome vanishes and the same happens to some games, however it doesn't do it to every program. I mean in Windows 7 it used to do it to stuff like games a lot but Chrome always worked and that is the most important... now under Windows 8 I cannot get it to work.

I cannot use Logitech drivers because they stop my right headphone speaker from working when the Logitech software isn't running :\ Only the Logitech software ruins the sound quality so I have to turn it off lol.

5. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

What motherboard (or computer model) do you have?

6. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

sounds like driver issues to me too, and since win8 hasnt had much time to mature yet it might be awhile before something like this gets resolved. not really a windows issue, its going to be between the programs and the audio drivers that were poorly written for win8.

reason #6834 to stay a year behind the latest software trends....

7. scaramoosh

scaramoosh Member

I'm using an Asus D2X Sound Card and Logitech 35 but I borrowed my mates headset and it does it with that too and I've tried on board and the same thing happens.

Surely it is just a setting somewhere inside programs as it doesn't happen with all programs?

8. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

Did you get the latest driver from the Asus site? The web site says the windows 8 version is in beta still.

Have you updated RMAA? It is on the Windows 7 page, but I bet it will work.

9. scaramoosh

scaramoosh Member

I'm on Windows 8

10. scaramoosh

scaramoosh Member

The new Google Chrome update fixed this.

Guessing it is an application side thing they all have to manually do and not an automatic driver or Windows issue.

11. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

Good stuff, glad you go it working.