how do I fix a dent in drywall?

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
I punched a dent in the wall. How do I fix so it looks like it never happened?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
How big is it? Either get some spackle and fill it in and sand it well or cut out the hole and patch it.

MoPHo

Platinum Member
Dec 16, 2003
your mom is totally gonna kick your ass when she finds out you dented a wall in her basement.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: MX2times
Punching walls = teh stoopid:roll:

better drywall than the person that you are angry with

I suppose. But of course this raises the issue of anger management:p

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
use spackle if it is a dent or a small hole. if it is a large hole spackle itself might not hold and you may need to put a wire mesh into the hole and put spackle over that. however, i doubt you punched a hole big enough to require the mesh.

astrosfan90

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2005
Funny story about this--buddy of mine in college used to always yell at me for getting drunk and knocking holes in his walls, so one day he comes to my house and decides to get really drunk and punch one of his own. He asks permission first, and I could care less (my housemates and I used to knock the **** outta that wall, so it needed to be repaired anyway).

He backs up, takes a running start, and BAM! He goes silent. Kinda turns around, looks a little pale, and runs out the door. We're all too drunk to think much of it, so no biggie.

Next morning I wake up to a phone call from him asking me to drive him to the local xray technician. He apparently caught a stud with his pinky and ring-finger knuckles, and his hand was so swollen when he woke up that he could hardly move it. Attempts to touch his pinky to his thumb resulted in excruciating pain and the sound of bones grinding.

He wound up needing two surgeries and pins to hold the bones together long enough to heal. He literally shattered his hand.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Punching walls = teh stoopid:roll:

better drywall than the person that you are angry with

I suppose. But of course this raises the issue of anger management:p

:|

:thumbsup::thumbsdown::thumbsup::thumbsdown::thumbsup::thumbsdown::thumbsup::thumbsdown:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: jacob0401
use spackle if it is a dent or a small hole. if it is a large hole spackle itself might not hold and you may need to put a wire mesh into the hole and put spackle over that. however, i doubt you punched a hole big enough to require the mesh.

astrosfan90

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: dpopiz
I punched a dent in the wall. How do I fix so it looks like it never happened?

That's what I did yesterday as well. I have scars on my knuckles right now.

Better than metal screws holding your bones together.

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005

Post a pic of the damage .

1 -- Mud over it and sand or wipe down with a damp sponge if it is a small indentation.

2 -- Tape with fiberglass tape over cracks and mud then follow the above step 1 if it there are cracks & minor break through.

3 ? For large cracks and openings: Cut out the broken area into a rectangle shape and have a fresh drywall piece that is the same size as the opening. Insert a piece of wood (1x2 or wider) that is longer than the opening and secure it with screws (make sure the screw heads are slightly below the drywall surface), then mount the fresh drywall cut out on to the wall/wood with screws. Then proceed to step 2 & 1 as above.

Once the above are done: paint 1 coat of primer and then at least 1 coat of matching paint colour (make sure paint are dry between coats)

Good luck!