How do I disable Word docs from opening in the IE window?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by JuanTabonia, Dec 18, 2002.

1. JuanTabonia

JuanTabonia Member

I find it annoying that when opening up Word, powerpoint, PDFs, etc. files from websites, they open up in my IE window. I'd rather that they open in their native programs, but I can't find the option to do it. Any help? Thanks!:)

2. TheWart

TheWart Diamond Member

I am a little confused. You mean that when you click on the start menu to open up Word (for example), it opens it up in IE? I have never heard of this happening, only when you open up a word document linked online.

3. SuperPickle

SuperPickle Golden Member

Perhaps you have the associations set to IE? Find a .pdf document (or Word or Ppt) and right click. Chose 'open with...' then 'chose program...' Pick the right program from the list and check the box 'always use this program to open these files.'

4. JuanTabonia

JuanTabonia Member

Sorry for the confusion. I edited the original message for (hopefullly) more clarity.
    The problem is: while surfing the web, if I click on a link for a Word document, the document will open in the IE window. I'd rather have it open up in the Word program. Solution?

5. TheWart

TheWart Diamond Member

Hmm, to tell you he truth, I dont think you can do that, because there is no way to edit that kind of option in IE. The only thing I found close to that is under Word Options > General > Allow Open of Internet docs or something similar. Maybe try that.

6. fr

fr Diamond Member

Theory: Go into Folder Tools>Options>File Types in Windows Explorer. File the .DOC extension and check that "Confirm open after download" box. Then when you click on a Word document, it will ask you to open or save. If you choose save, uncheck the box that says to close the download Window after it's done downloading. Then click on "Open" after it's downloaded. It should open in Word.

7. PrincessGuard

PrincessGuard Golden Member

Explorer -> Tools -> Options -> File Types -> DOC -> Advanced -> Uncheck Browse in Same Window.

This is with Office 97 on Win2k.

8. JuanTabonia

JuanTabonia Member

Thanks PrincessGuard!!
    Your method worked!:D