How do I delete a file in safe mode using the dos prompt?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BroadbandGamer, Nov 28, 2004.

1. BroadbandGamer

BroadbandGamer Senior member

I've got a file on my desktop that I can not delete. I've tried deleting it every way I can think of but it keeps saying it can't be deleted because it's in use. Even in safe mode I can't delete it. Can anyone help me out? The file is WorldPokerChampionship-dem.exe. I downloaded it to try out the game and now I can't delete this thing. :|

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - delete file safe Forum Date
    Win 7 x64 file deletes slow Operating Systems Mar 19, 2018
    Any sites that have lists of files that are safe to delete in triming winXP? Operating Systems Feb 4, 2003
    Is it safe to delete TEMP files from winnt folder in WIN2K? Operating Systems Nov 24, 2001
    Which TMP files can I safely delete in 2k? Operating Systems Dec 29, 2000
    Win2k: Can the Dr Watson/user.dmp file be deleted safely Operating Systems Oct 7, 2000

3. Infohawk

Infohawk Lifer

What version of windows are you using? 'del' is the command in xp.

Are you using fat or ntfs? Filemon from sysinternals might be a free app that could tell you which app you are using. I'd run the task manager and kill all unusual tasks then try again.

4. BroadbandGamer

I'm using windows xp and ntfs.

This is the first time I haven't been able to delete a file even in safe mode.

Which program in task manager do I need to leave running?

5. Infohawk

Infohawk Lifer

Since it's NTFS I guess you can't use knoppix to delete it. :p Anyway, sounds like you need to use a utility like filemon to see what process is using that file, then kill it and delete the file.

6. BroadbandGamer

I downloaded filemon. Now how do I use it?

7. BroadbandGamer

I finally managed to delete that little POS. I used that filemon program and it was using explore.exe. I couldn't shut down explore.exe using task manager without screwing everything up. What I did was rebooted into safe mode with the dos prompt. I then used the command del desktop\worldpokerchampionship-dm.exe and it worked!

Man that was strange.

BTW, thanks for the help infohawk!

8. Infohawk

Infohawk Lifer

If you are in safe mode, you should run filemon and do file > capture events. Hopefully, you should see something attempting to use that file. Maybe try deleting the file while filemon is running. I would also try using the task manager and looking for unusual processes if filemon doesn't spot it being used. Odds are it would be some odd process using that file...