Question How do i connect wifi to PC in other rooms using wall ethernet jacks ?

sandyy

Jan 31, 2022
- Live in an apartment complex
- Have a combined router + modem thing
- Get bad wireless connectivity in a room

I have tried simply connecting the wifi module to the wall jack in the Living room and connecting an ethernet wire from the wall jack in the low connectivity room to the PC but doesn't seem to work. The network isn't even detected.

From what I've seen on other forums people need to resolve this using 'A central networking panel' in some closet or basement. But I live in an apartment and can assure you that there is no such panel anywhere (There is a panel for Electricity but there's nothing related to internet there) I'm assuming my apartment has got some centralized system for this purpose but I'm not sure.

Is this some problem with networking infrastructure in my apartment or am I doing something wrong?
Some forums suggest connecting switches (idk how they work) but I think that is used when multiple wired connections are needed, but I will require only one connection so I assume I will not need any such extra device.

Edit: here are the the photos I hope
I dont want to provide the back of wifi thing photo as there might be sensitive info at the back or smthng idk but its model no is: Nokia G-2425G-A
20220131_161937[1].jpg

20220131_161859[1].jpg

20220131_161837[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20220131_161806[1].jpg
    20220131_161806[1].jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Chances are you have a smart hub in a closet with multiple ports i.e. patch panel.

There's usually one port that breaks out to every port that you would feed the primary connection into.

1643616074688.png

Using something like this https://www.computercablestore.com/rj45-loopback-tester will like up the port on the opposite end when there's a connection completed. Or simply move the cord in the closet until it lights up.

The patch panel doesn't have to be large in size though and might be hidden under a shelf or in a cabinet / attic. If you have multiple Ethernet jacks in the apartment it's going to be somewhere it just might not be obvious.

Reactions: aigomorla

sandyy

Jan 31, 2022
Chances are you have a smart hub in a closet with multiple ports i.e. patch panel.

There's usually one port that breaks out to every port that you would feed the primary connection into.

View attachment 56758

Using something like this https://www.computercablestore.com/rj45-loopback-tester will like up the port on the opposite end when there's a connection completed. Or simply move the cord in the closet until it lights up.

The patch panel doesn't have to be large in size though and might be hidden under a shelf or in a cabinet / attic. If you have multiple Ethernet jacks in the apartment it's going to be somewhere it just might not be obvious.

As ive mentioned before ive thoroughly checked literally every place any wire comes out of and haven't noticed a patch panel. But thanks anyways. = )

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You don't need a networking panel. However probably no one knows what a wifi module of a router is that you are referring to. A wifi module should be integrated inside the wifi router / gateway. You probably won't even see the antennas.

Pictures of your router + modem (plus wifi module) or model numbers and closeup shots of wall jacks for both rooms. They should be 8 pins RJ45 jacks.

Your router + modem (plus wifi module ) needs to have more than one ports (usually 4) to let 2 PCs to get online. Unless you don't have any PC in the living room.

You can't connect two PCs using an ethernet cable/wire and expect both to get online.

Last edited:

sandyy

Jan 31, 2022
You don't need a networking panel. However probably no one knows what a wifi module of a router is that you are referring to. A wifi module should be integrated inside the wifi router / gateway. You probably won't even see the antennas.

Pictures of your router + modem (plus wifi module) or model numbers and closeup shots of wall jacks for both rooms. They should be 8 pins RJ45 jacks.

Your router + modem (plus wifi module ) needs to have more than one ports (usually 4) to let 2 PCs to get online. Unless you don't have any PC in the living room.

You can't connect two PCs using an ethernet cable/wire and expect both to get online.
I'm sorry i wasnt clear, the "wifi module" that i wrongly said a thing with both router and modem function, and I have added the pictures of what you asked for in the original post

Also I have not currently connected anything through wire with the Wifi router except the telephone line. And I am also not expecting to connect many more devices in the coming future, hence am needing to connect only one device through wire from wall jacks.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
OK. So you seem to have a Nokia ONT G-2425G-A GPON ONT Router wifi router. The RJ45 socket pictures you posted look like they are spray painted and those copper pins been rendered useless. You need to replace those wall plates with new RJ45 jacks.

or

If you can't find toolless connector

Last edited:

sandyy

Jan 31, 2022
OK. So you seem to have a Nokia ONT G-2425G-A GPON ONT Router wifi router. The RJ45 socket pictures you posted look like they are spray painted and those copper pins been rendered useless. You need to replace those wall plates with new RJ45 jacks.

or

If you can't find toolless connector
Oh ok thanks a lot, Ill try to fin an RJ45 jack in a hardware or electrical store first, or ill just get it from the link thanks.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
It is also possible, that the other jack next to the one in use is for a different service provider in the area. "possible"

Look outside of the building for multiple provider access panels/lock boxes.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, without knowing where the RJ45 jacks connect to, it will be difficult to say if they can be used. You can attempt to trace them using a network tone generator, but don't get your hopes up with the cheap ones as they are typically only rated/designed to find the cable when it is in a bundle of cables that you have direct access to touch, not trace a cable path behind drywall.

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
With 35 years of corporate IT networking and 10 years as a cable company sub contractor (Optimum and Comcast), I can tell you apartment complexes can be a nightmare. Some apartment complexes wire apartments as self contained units, some of them are wires as whole complex things. Most all of them have one primary cable jack that is wired to a MDU in a basement where the cable company connects to to provide you service. Additional cable jacks may either be wired/split off that initially enter or split off that initial entry with cables run along the walls to the other rooms.

Internet jacks are usually one of two things. One is the building is supplying the internet and they are all hardwired to the same patch panel as the rest of the complex or they're actually telephone jacks. Very rarely is an apartment wired with ethernet to every/multiple rooms as a private lan. Before you spend a lot chasing guesses, A:) ask your landlord how it's wired and B) spend $20 and buy a toner (like https://www.walmart.com/ip/RJ11-Net...etwork-Tools-without-Battery-Yellow/602600917) and verify the jacks are even connected

Reactions: DaaQ

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008

Thanks for that, I haven't seen my punchdown tool in 10 years. I do have my tone generator though, and its come in useful for a lot of non-network stuff.