How do I change process priority by default to always be above normal?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by StageLeft, May 7, 2010.

1. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

For some damn reason all Chrome instances are below normal on my computer. In fact, I want them above normal. I found a program called Prio to download and it lets you save priority changings for next time but that seems silly. Is there no better way to do it? Surely XP via registry or other can let me set a program's default priority?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - change process priority Forum Date
    Anyone following the Quicken change to yearly subscription fees? Software for Windows Sep 21, 2017
    Firefox 53.0.2 with more than one Firefox process! I get one process for every tab now! Software for Windows May 14, 2017
    Excel 2016 - Change Default Color In Cell Color Drop Down Box Software for Windows Jan 5, 2017
    Does such software exist - display output change via software Software for Windows Dec 2, 2016
    Blogger Account change question Software for Windows May 9, 2016

3. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

No, AFAIK the only way to do it is to create a batch file using the 'start' command to change the priority. However, setting process' to "above normal" is a bad idea because the Windows process scheduler isn't very good...

4. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

That sucks! I have no idea why Chrome is below normal. it's the only process I'm aware of that is and it's the one I tolerate slowness with the least :(

5. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Chrome is my primary browser on Linux these days and I've never even had a reason to look at it's niceness. And I just started it on my Win7 work laptop and all of the processes I spot-checked were "Normal" priority.

6. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

I think it did this on my home PC to be honest but I am not 100% sure. It's exceedingly unacceptable to me, though!

7. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Unintall and reinstall it.

Priority are built intothe application itself and set at startup.
    One can change the priority after the app is running.

Only other option would be to try to hack the app by locating the proper byte in the executable and changing it.

Placing things above normal that are either CPU and/or I/O intensive can drastically affect the way the overall system runs

8. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

there was some donation ware process priority changer program i tried once, it worked but the authors site made you jump through hoops registering on their forum and all sorts of garbage to get to it.

9. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Processes can change their priority, only down if you're non-admin AFAIK, however reinstalling them won't change that. If they do it, they do it and that's all there is to it.

10. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer