How do I burn a DVD to watch on my television?

balane

Dec 15, 2006
I downloaded an episode of Battlestar Galactica that I missed. I really would prefer to watch it on the big screen in the front room where I have a standard DVD player. On my computer I have a DVD burner and some blank disks. Is there a way to put this downloaded episode onto a DVD so that it can be watched in a standard player? Can somebody please tell me how to proceed? The file on my computer is an AVI. Thank you very much.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
You could always burn the .avi file to a VCD (video CD). VCD is supported by most DVD players. Nero has this option.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
get a DVIX DVD player... they are like less than $50 and will play most of your download without encoding it to another format.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi...egory=489&Description=DVD+divx&Ntk=all

or buy xbox and softmod it : ) best media center machine

XBMC FTW! :D

Find me a DVD player that can play mkv/ogm files?
Were is it?
???

Oh, thats right, they don't make them. :p

If you want to make a "real" DVD you can use something like Nero. It will automatically convert the file to mpeg2 and do all the other stuff.
Or just burn the avi and see if it plays in the DVD player. Ya never know.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
divx dvd player, or if the show is in a avi format, you can download winavi and convert it to a dvd format.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Windows Media Encoder 9 will encode it in WMV.

Also all of these conversions depend on what Video and Audio stream the .avi contains. In my experience, transcoders have major problems with Ogg Vorbis and Xvid codecs.

That being said "ConvertX to DVD" is very nice software. While it isn't multi-threaded, it is very stable and quick.

One other that I found to be HIGHLY customizable is TMPGENC.

DVD's vob files (Video Object File) are for all intents and purposes a format similar to .MPG. Get it to MPG and you are golden.

-Kevin

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
ConvertXtoDVD is the best and maybe the demo or older free version plus any ol' blank you have will do for one time or infrequent use.

However, for frequent useage a license plus DVD+RW is a good thing -using 4/8/10x whatever the drive can manage which ain't bad in any case and saves moolah and waste in the long run. It's a good idea to look up the player in the videohelp.org database for disc compatability before buying any though.

Even though stand-alone players can be had for $20, they are of dubious build quality, IQ, and compatability plus add clutter -especially along-side a regular duty player 'n' such. So, I'm more keen on the PC to TV connection supplemented by converting to DVD which can obviously be played just about anywhere (compatability allowing).